For Sale Early 90s Cannondale M700

Voldman

Retro Newbie
46 cm (C-C) Cannondale M700 in red. I got this bike from the original owner who bought it new in the US in the early 90s. It still has the sticker from the bike shop on it - GNO Cyclery in New Orleans. It has been stored unused in a dry garage for at least the last 15 years. It was rather dirty when I got it, so it has been stripped back to the bare frame and completely rebuilt. It is in very good condition for its age, just a few paint chips here and there, but no dents or dings. It has Pepperoni 11/4 forks with a threaded headset and Girvin Flexistem. The brakes are Shimano cantis with the Force 40 braking system. The chainset is a Shimano Deore LX triple 28/38/48 with a date code for 1991. Front and rear mechs are Shimano Deore LX, also with a date code for 1991, and these are operated by Deore LX thumbies. It has a 7 speed close ratio Shimano cassette on a Silver Deore LX 32 hole rear hub with a silver rim (part of the Decal is missing so I don't know the make). The front wheel is not original, unfortunately, but is a 32 hole Shimano Deore LX black hub on a Specialized silver rim.The pedals are SR M7TP129 and it had Tioga black plastic toeclips on it (I have taken these off, but will be included in the sale if the buyer wants them). The seat pillar is an alloy micro-adjust one of unknown brand. The bike came without a saddle so I've fitted a new one which looks OK for the period. I've also fitted new handlebar grips and a pair on matching, part worn CST tyres (26x1.95).

Price: I've looked on ebay and on here at similar bikes which have sold recently. Bearing in mind the originality of the bike, what I paid for it, the parts I've fitted and the work I've done to it, I think a reasonable price is £500. If I'm right, it should sell quickly. If I'm wrong, I'm sure there are lots of people on here who will tell me so!!

The bike is in Lincoln and viewings are welcome. I might be able to deliver it for an agreed cost. I've included a picture (hopefully). More pictures are available on request by email

1692125883606.jpeg

OK, I listed this a week ago today and it has had 155 views and no replies. I guess that means I've overpriced it!! So, I'll reduce the asking price to £400 and give it another week. If there is still no interest, I'll remove it from here and put it on ebay.

Have you looked at the prices on eBay? You are asking top money for it I think. Have a search on eBay and then look down the left hand side for the filters and select "Sold". This will tick the sold and completed boxes and show all recent sales of similar bikes. There's also a forum in here to ask how much your "xyz" is worth. Post in there and see what the consensus is.

Also if you're trying to sell a bike people like to see close ups and different angles. So they know what they're buying.

just what I was about to say, yes, give it a good polish and take LOTS of pictures. In my opinion, if the paint isn’t too bad then it should fetch max £200, however I’ve seen the higher end dx equipped versions only reach £150 in todays bike market. If you want money go to eBay, if you want it to go quick(if priced reasonably) sell here.

Have you looked at the prices on eBay? You are asking top money for it I think. Have a search on eBay and then look down the left hand side for the filters and select "Sold". This will tick the sold and completed boxes and show all recent sales of similar bikes. There's also a forum in here to ask how much your "xyz" is worth. Post in there and see what the consensus is.

Also if you're trying to sell a bike people like to see close ups and different angles. So they know what they're buying.
Thanks for you reply. As you may have realised, I'm a new to this, so your advice is much appreciated.

Back