Commuter tires (for a Cadex ALM 1)

Caddy

Dirt Disciple
Hi - new and new to MTB's, so time for the obvious questions: I need to replace the no-name knobblies on my used but willing ALM 1. With Furious Fred? According to Schwalbe 'the fastest racing tyre ever' and virtually semi-slick it seems but middling puncture protection and grip - or instant relief from bricks and tramlines with the equally fast-rated, 2.5 inch, higher-grip, Schwalbe/Bohle Balloon Bike Super Moto? Or the Schwalbe Marathon Racer - an inch thinner but just as fast and probably tougher than the fatboy? Or Continental Sport Contact? How fast and how comfortable are the Conti's?
I'm fascinated by the balloon tire story and wondered if anyone's experienced them? Schwalbe says the balloon tyres are hi-grip and safe because they are low-pressure and don't skitter over bricks and rough paved surfaces but deform and grip. They have a smaller, shorter, more lateral contact patch and therefore lower rolling resistance than a narrower tire with its longitudinal contact patch. And they mimic the effect of full suspension, at lower weight!
My ideal tire has minimal rolling resistance, grip on wet urban tarmac, adds comfort to a very rigid bike, has some curb-jumping toughness and some puncture protection - in that order. I do about 10,000 commuter km's, 95% onroad, the rest on smooth gravel paths and grass, a year.
I'm tempted by the Super Moto but what are they really like - perhaps not hardcore, inviting and aggressive enough for true city riding?

Hi Stadsgenoot,

i use Ritchey Speedmax for daily cruisin' trough Amsterdam during the wet periodes.They wordk fine but i got to be straight, i did not try many different tyres to make a good comparison.

regards,

Bas

Hoi Bas,

The Speedmax looks like a clever choice for greater Amsterdam's mix of bricks, tarmac, tramlines, hardpacked gravel paths, clay and swampy grass - but looks quite heavy? I wondered whether the Schwalbe balloon tires (Super Moto seems the fastest - and I also want fast) would be as good on all these different surfaces...
As to testing other tires - I've realised that you need to be an internet millionaire to buy all the suitable tires - and then do nothing else but test for a year.

I'll check out the Speedmax further.

thanks,

If you want to test the speedmax,..be my guest,..will put them on your Cadex for a test drive.

Tires

I have been using the Continental Sport Contact 1.6 on my Funk for street riding and I like them a lot. They are mostly slick with a vestigial S pattern and I think a perfect compromise between fat and light with low rolling resistance.

Conti traffic cheap and bullet proof. Hold the tire pressure good too. pumped mine up 3 weeks ago 60psi and still at 60. un-like the Maxis i had.

I'm running Specialized Nimbus on my Breezer for commuting and they're fine......also used WTB Slickasaurus tyres on the Bontrager with no problems!

Quite like WTB Nanoraptor tyres too, roll well on the road but allow for Towpath shortcuts on the way home :D

Stu

Back