Claud Butler ARC 1000 / Diamondback DBR V-Link

sam_white

Diamond Back Fan
Browsing the Facebook marketplace I stumbled on a cheap full suspension bike, a bit of investigation and close examination of the pics showed it to be a Claud Butler ARC 1000.
Some parts of the frame reminded me of my own Diamondback X-Link, especially the front derailleur noodle and bottom bracket area. Having had a look online at some photos, the frame appears to be the same as the earlier Diamondback V-Link. See photos! Wonder if Peachy might know more about this?
Blatant rip off or did Claud Butler purchase their frames direct from Diamondback and re-brand them?
Both the V-Link and ARC names have been used on a few different frames over the years, but these two models look the same to me.

Attachments

• arc-1000.jpg
    arc-1000.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DBR1.jpg
    DBR1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 15
My ears were burning...

Not a rip-off but a re-badge as by 1998 The Falcon group at Brigg, North Lincolnshire had stopped actually making Clauds and were pretty much buying everything in or re-badging Falcons.
After the disaster that was the 1997 Cro-mo Cape Wrath buy-in of 1997 (most of which they could barely give away) https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1997-claud-butler-cape-wrath-finished.420181/

They decided to go full sus and nicked Yeti's monika "ARC" the first one was called just that, and was almost exactly the same as a Mercury KA05, in fact that's where the the got the red & yellow paint scheme, they just stuck stickers on and put some cheaper components on.

I'm not sure when they did the same with the Diamondback X-Link, but I think it would have been 2000. I'd be interested to see if you can find any component date codes.

There's an ARC 1000 on eBay at the moment with the same frame as that pictured above and the seller has kindly taken a nice close up of the frame number, that shows it is a 1999 model Claude ARC.

I have a 1999 Diamondback catalogue which shows that they had dropped the V-Link from the range by that year, so I suspect the 1999 Claud Butler ARC is actually a rebranded 1998 Diamondback V-Link. Unfortunately I haven't got a 1998 Diamondback catalogue to check. All very interesting! I'd buy the bike I've seen locally but it's a complete shed and the seller wants £100 for it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There's an ARC 1000 on eBay at the moment with the same frame as that pictured above and the seller has kindly taken a nice close up of the frame number, that shows it is a 1999 model Claude ARC.

I have a 1999 Diamondback catalogue which shows that they had dropped the V-Link from the range by that year, so I suspect the 1999 Claud Butler ARC is actually a rebranded 1998 Diamondback V-Link. Unfortunately I haven't got a 1998 Diamondback catalogue to check. All very interesting! I'd buy the bike I've seen locally but it's a complete shed and the seller wants £100 for it.
That makes sense.
Yes I wouldn't mind one, but TBH I wouldn't pay more than £50 as they are always far from good let alone mint.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I present to you, the Cycle Wolf Venom. Looks very familiar.

Attachments

• Cycle Wolf Venom.jpg
    Cycle Wolf Venom.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 9
Back