Chiltern Cycling Fest - July 17, particularly retro-friendly

Ajoten

Old School Hero
My whole "vintage" project and participation in this website was inspired by some glorious bikes at last year's http://www.chilterncyclingfestival.com/ near Amersham. I think it would be of particular interest to us forummers as although it features "normal" sportives and hill climbs and things, there are some retro-specific events therein, including a vintage sportive, concors d'elegance, hire-a-vintage-bike, and best-dressed rider competition, a flyer for which I attach below...

I'll be the one pushing a red Peugeot PKN10 up Kop Hill, give us a wave!

Andrew.

Attachments

• Dapper.jpg
    Dapper.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,725
Re:

Looks like fun and hope to attend, maybe ride. Can't see any retro mtb specific events and the concors d'elegance is 'British Classic' specific. Nowt wrong with that but would be nice to have something that members on here could enter even if it's not a UK spec bike. :)

Oo, they had a retro mtb thing last year. But don't get yr UK-specific spec thingy, altho despite my constant offers the organisers still ignore my proofreading requests. The truth of the matter is the retro "spirit" is the main criterion of retro rides, so riding a bike that looks pre 1989 is fine even if it was made last year.

Ajoten":3n72yp2v said:
Oo, they had a retro mtb thing last year. But don't get yr UK-specific spec thingy, altho despite my constant offers the organisers still ignore my proofreading requests. The truth of the matter is the retro "spirit" is the main criterion of retro rides, so riding a bike that looks pre 1989 is fine even if it was made last year.

I'm all over the retro spirit vibe but does it 100% have to be made before 1989 ? That's my favourite retro year and the East Coast US bike I'd like to bring is from 89 ;) don't want some chappie with a clip board tut tutting me out of the Course d'elegance enclosure :LOL: Btw the East Coast gets the same weather as Blighty and was once a Colony and that's good enough for me :LOL:

Throw me a line here, M-Power, I can't find the reference to British Classic-ness on the website and want to report back to the organisers if it's misleading.

Either way, I can assure you there's no snootiness on the matter and let's face it, if you deliberately read the "rules" as "1989 or earlier" a judge would have to be particularly pompous to grumble about qualification. But I must stress the day isn't a retro day, just has a few retro activities. And last year the winner was decided on volume of spectator cheering anyway :)

Ajoten":3lgap33b said:
Throw me a line here, M-Power, I can't find the reference to British Classic-ness on the website and want to report back to the organisers if it's misleading.

Either way, I can assure you there's no snootiness on the matter and let's face it, if you deliberately read the "rules" as "1989 or earlier" a judge would have to be particularly pompous to grumble about qualification. But I must stress the day isn't a retro day, just has a few retro activities. And last year the winner was decided on volume of spectator cheering anyway :)

Nowt wrong with a bit of British Classicness but it would add to the mix to have a dedicated Retro ATB section next year perhaps, pre 90 and pre 97 eras maybe. British, US and ROW if here are enough entries. As your event is nearer to London it could attract significant entries. Sounds like fun anyway and my daughter will like the kids rides :)

Back