Bottechia/TVT, Banesto/TVT and Castorama Raleigh 653

nice pic,s of the 80,s there rusty. with a little glimpse of millar ,fignon and rooks.great stuff

I thought the calfe bikes where the ones made for the famous "z" team.i think greg paid for them out of his own pocket

When Greg LeMond rode for ADR in the 1989 TDF he used a mixture of Bottecchia Steel Bikes & TVT carbon bikes with Bottecchia Decals fitted.
In the 1990 TDF when the rode for Z he/the team used the TVT HM version which is 20% stiffer then the HR version & is easily identified by the TVT engraved on the head lug & the seat lug.

viewtopic.php?t=235545&start=0

LeMond then went on to use LeMond decaled Carbon Frames made by Calfe in later TDF
Also when LeMond won the Tour in 1986 for the La Vie Claire team he was riding Look Carbon Bikes made by TVT and sprayed Silver.
He was the first rider to win the TDF riding Carbon bikes
Pedro Delgado also used TVT bikes when he rode for Banesto & Reynolds with Banesto / Reynolds Decals Fitted.
Miguel Indurain also used a mixture of Steel framed Pinarello’s & TVT Carbon frames whilst winning his 5TDF

Also a lot of other top professional riders at the time bought there own TVT & had them sprayed up in there team colours & fitted with the correct team decals a couple that I can 100% confirm that were using a TVT instead of the Team Sponsors bike were Gert-Jan Theunisse TVM, Steven Rooks Buckler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steel-is-real/3354980772/

I have seen versions of the TVT with a one piece head tube rather than the normal version with the two lugs & carbon tube between.

This is another TVT bike used by The La Vie Claire team in the 1987 TDF but Decaled up as LOOK
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=203580

Donny Dee":3gze8qkj said:
Buying your own! I'm pretty certain that would never happen in todays highly monetised system.

absolutely,

Also a lot of the top team leaders had there frames made by an Italian guy by the name of Dario Pegoretti & then fitted with the team sponsors Decals. Indurain, Cipollini to name just two, but I'm sure there were many more. it also happened in the Mountain bike world as well as Tim Goulds Team Peugeot frame was made by Chas Roberts.
Today everything Carbon frame wise seems to be Monocoque construction, designed by computer software & tested in wind tunnels. So the individual frame builders art/craft is fast disappearing (i'm not sure if thats a good thing or not) but ha ho thats progress I suppose? lighter, more aero dynamic & stronger? Maybe Ernie has the right idea when he says the UCI should put a minimum weight limit on the Frame & forks & NOT an overall weight limit on the bike.
As to wether some of the TT abortions that are now used by the top pro teams will ever become collectable (let alone available as most are one off's for the particular rider) remains to be seen. But one thing is for sure at 67 years old now! I won't be around in 30 years time to see it.

Back