Bob Jackson 1964

Really like this bike. Can you give me a rough idea of your winter cleaning post ride and maintenance. Do you use a pressure washer and avoid seals and bearings etc? Im in rainy Ireland...
Merry Christmas!

Just for interest I have attached a graph of Bob Jackson frame numbers that I have been putting together. This is broad brush stuff but appears faily accurate. If anyone reading this has a BJ frame can they send me the year and frame number and I would add it into the info I have. On the graph obviously frame numbers are on the vertical axis with years along the bottom. I would particualrly like info from around 1958, 1997 and 2007. Thanks.
@The History Man

Your commuting on that bike on Devon roads?!

Shame on you!!

The roads around here are awful, much worse than the roads in Yorkshire both in condition, dirt and dangers....
Bikes are for riding!

I know what you mean about the roads though. Sad to say the demise of my own Bob Jackson was due to one too many potholes round here. I sold the broken frame on eBay and as far as I know the new owner got it repaired with a new downtube.

Really like this bike. Can you give me a rough idea of your winter cleaning post ride and maintenance. Do you use a pressure washer and avoid seals and bearings etc? Im in rainy Ireland...
Merry Christmas!
Hi Mike
I think the first thing is to accept parts will wear out. A mid range drive system rather than a 50 anniversary set!
Wash/rinse off when you first get back from your ride. I use Muck Off products, then go have a shower! Use a drive chain cleaner and leave to soak in.
Using a wash/wax go over every part of the bike, with a decent brush or sponge.
Rinse off no jet wash, ever!
Dry bike off with a used towel, use this time to check every frame joint.
Use Muck off ultimate protection, cover the complete bike, chain and frame, again work it in with the towel.
A drop of oil for each cable and work it backwards and forwards, this drives the water out.
Take great time with the chain, if it’s very dirty use a chain cleaner tool and dry the chain again. Lube the chain (wet lube) again wipe off any excess.
Check brakes for alignment to rims and unscrew wheel adjusters, lube and return.
Check gear adjustment, (friction and index)
Tyre pressures and your now ready.
Don’t forget your tool and tube!
Ready for next ride 😊 F5B573BA-21DB-48CD-A2D2-A642CE05D270.jpeg

Hi Mike
I think the first thing is to accept parts will wear out. A mid range drive system rather than a 50 anniversary set!
Wash/rinse off when you first get back from your ride. I use Muck Off products, then go have a shower! Use a drive chain cleaner and leave to soak in.
Using a wash/wax go over every part of the bike, with a decent brush or sponge.
Rinse off no jet wash, ever!
Dry bike off with a used towel, use this time to check every frame joint.
Use Muck off ultimate protection, cover the complete bike, chain and frame, again work it in with the towel.
A drop of oil for each cable and work it backwards and forwards, this drives the water out.
Take great time with the chain, if it’s very dirty use a chain cleaner tool and dry the chain again. Lube the chain (wet lube) again wipe off any excess.
Check brakes for alignment to rims and unscrew wheel adjusters, lube and return.
Check gear adjustment, (friction and index)
Tyre pressures and your now ready.
Don’t forget your tool and tube!
Ready for next ride 😊View attachment 591584
Wow good cleaning regime!

I use washing up liquid in old water bottle and brush.

Then wd40 / gt85 to dispel the water.

Back