Argos 63cm Road Bike Columbus SLX Shimano

OliverJames

Senior Retro Guru
Argos 63cm Road Bike Columbus SLX Shimano On Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275748522933?

s-l500.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks!

Had a few hours to tinker today so I fitted some new tubes, tyres and brake pads as the originals had perished. Ran the chain and cassette through the ultrasonic cleaner - both came up like new. Then I waxed the chain, made a few other tweaks and additions as well as wiping everything down with an oily rag. So I am all set for a 50 mile group ride tomorrow morning, hoping it all holds out.

The bike is in excellent condition and appears to be little used, the seller packed it very well, I am happy it was as per the description. There is someones name painted on the top tube "Paul G James" - not sure who this is/was. The bike appears to have a mix of 600 and 105 groupset components. I plan to swap out the various 105 bits with 600 so it all matches, if I can find a set of brifters in good condition I could be tempted with fitting some.

IMG_20230805_173206.jpg

IMG_20230805_173129.jpg

Thanks!

Had a few hours to tinker today so I fitted some new tubes, tyres and brake pads as the originals had perished. Ran the chain and cassette through the ultrasonic cleaner - both came up like new. Then I waxed the chain, made a few other tweaks and additions as well as wiping everything down with an oily rag. So I am all set for a 50 mile group ride tomorrow morning, hoping it all holds out.

The bike is in excellent condition and appears to be little used, the seller packed it very well, I am happy it was as per the description. There is someones name painted on the top tube "Paul G James" - not sure who this is/was. The bike appears to have a mix of 600 and 105 groupset components. I plan to swap out the various 105 bits with 600 so it all matches, if I can find a set of brifters in good condition I could be tempted with fitting some.

View attachment 766370

View attachment 766371
Lovely bike, fag paper clearance.

Lovely bike. I'm a bit skeptical of running a chain through an ultrasonic cleaner as they clean too well IYSWIM - they strip out the grease in the rollers and the only way to put that back is to put the chain in a pan and boil the grease/wax it back in. Most people seem not to do this, possibly because it will cause a domestic incident and definitely cos its a faff.

Called Argos, turns out that it is dated from 1992. The frame was built in Italy during a time when Argos could not keep up with the demand. They were known as "stock" frames, essentially these were off the peg. It was then painted here in the UK.

It was painted with colours that are still used to this day which is great as I have purchased some touch up pots.

Now to find the remaining Shimano 600 groupset bits to replace the few 105 items.

Back