advice: bought some suspension forks - always check oil!!!

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Those of you that follow the >98 bikes may have seen my update after riding my 2009 Yeti.

For those that haven't, the forks (150 mm) juddered on braking. This can be due to a number of things: too large or damaged disc, disc rotor with big holes, worn fork bushings, loose headset or no oil in forks.

I suspescted worn bushing so took them apart today to discover one leg devoid of oil and other had 1/4 teaspoon. :facepalm:

I had ridden less than 5 miles. The stanchion in the leg without oil, the gold colour teflon shows wear in a couple of places - not really a problem but probably could have been avoided had I checked oil levels. Yes, I am rather cross with myself. :twisted:

So the lesson here is if you have bought S/H suspension forks, take 15 minutes to check the oil!!

From Fox FAQ:
There's play in my Fork bushings, what should I do?

A. FOX Forx use hydrodynamic lubrication. In order for this technolgy to work correctly there is required to be clearence between the bushes and upper tubes (stanchions). In most cases clearance becomes more apparent when your fork is overdue seal and foam ring maintenance and therefore there's insufficient lubrication between the bushes and upper tubes.

Back