A tiny '02 Pahoehoe

moonlite

Kona Fan
As mentioned here, this little Pahoehoe popped up on local Facebook Marketplace for all of AU$ 100, which is about GBP 55, so on impulse I bought it, either to fix up a bit for the family or to strip for parts.

2002 pahoehoe.jpeg

IMG_0467-Edit.jpg

According to the catalogue for that year, it was available in 14" and 16", so not sure of what to make of my measurement of about 15.5".

IMG_0470.jpg

It's seen a lot of action, though -- apart from the usual rusty bolts, the original Jackshit grips are all worn and gungy, there's a lot of chainslap damage, and the fork stanchions are pretty scored. But it's perfectly rideable by all 6'2" of me if the seatpost is elevated crazy high enough.

IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg

So -- initial plan is to sort out the grips and bolts, give everything a good clean and lube, and see if there's a better fork in the stash. Then it can join the family fleet.

Thought I'd try this Marzocchi Z5 Flylight Air fork -- it works nicely and the colour certainly interacts interestingly with the frame colour . . .

Turns out the Aheadset is pretty shot: rusty and the plastic parts crumbling into black gunge. I'll have to replace it before the bike can be ridden.

IMG_0471.jpg IMG_0472.jpg

Nice find At that price.

According to the catalogue for that year, it was available in 14" and 16", so not sure of what to make of my measurement of about 15.5".

Kona’s are usually measured centre to top, rather than centre to centre, so at a guess, it’s probably a 17”.

I rode this today on a nearby dirt road. The front wheel is ever so slightly buckled, and it feels as if overall the various bearings need cleaning and repacking. It was OK to ride, but just didn't feel as smooth and willing as it should. That said, did 16km with some decent climbs, so I reckon it's worth persisting with.

I rode this today on a nearby dirt road. The front wheel is ever so slightly buckled, and it feels as if overall the various bearings need cleaning and repacking. It was OK to ride, but just didn't feel as smooth and willing as it should. That said, did 16km with some decent climbs, so I reckon it's worth persisting with.
It looks great and it sounds like it passed the test to become a rider, just a few bits and pieces to sort out. I say crack on :)

One of my most ridden bikes back in the day had 3 snapped spokes resulting in a buckle so powerful that I didn't need rim brakes as the wheel was consistently being braked by smashing into the seat stay, never say never. Fault or feature?

Back