98 GT STS

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Never owned one before, always fancied one and was interested by the unusual frame construction. Sort of accidentally bought one. Ah, the perils of late night eBay....

Anyway, it's far from original with all parts more modern, looks to be a late 2000s build. First look it seems that everything works as it should. No immediate sign of damage to the frame beyond minor scuffs and cable rub. Linkage and shock seem fine, forks appear to function. Gears go round and brakes stop.

Serial says 1297 so going for a 1998 model, happy to be corrected if that seems out. What can you tell me about these then?

I'll add it to the list of new things I need to try out when the weather picks up a bit

Attachments

• sts7.jpg
    sts7.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 668
  • sts4.jpg
    sts4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 666
  • sts3.jpg
    sts3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 667
  • sts2.jpg
    sts2.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 665
  • sts1.jpg
    sts1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 665
Re:

Couple of things not quite right for me, but only little things.

Seatpost was 31.4 and should be 31.6. wasn't a problem and all felt secure but I had a spare in the shed so swapped that out.

There's a little too much flex at the front end for my liking. Its to be expected I suppose but also quite annoying. Short of new forks and wheel with a bolt thru fitting I guess I'll just live with it for now.

I don't like the deore sti's. Purely aesthetic. I think I have some avid levers and some 3x9 XT shifters but they are silver, think I'd prefer black. Again, I'll live with it for now. Doesn't bother me enough to change right away.

Front end is a bit high and possibly too wide so may swap out the bars while I'm at it.

But yeah, it works nicely so far. Not given it a proper thrash yet but when the weather picks up a bit we'll give it a proper test.

Re:

It's a lovely frame. Seems a shame to ruin it with all of that modern stuff. Although, it has to be said, even if you fitted old dual crown forks to it like a Judy XL there would still be the element of flex.

Re:

Not too bothered about the slightly more modern bits. That deore kit came in from about 2002, not sure on the forks but think they are 2003, so not too far out. I have thought about rebuilding with closer to period kit but since it all works as-is it's not high up my list.

Re:

Never owned a GT and not a full susser guy but do really like these.I think it's the way they've 'wrapped' the ally around the carbon,beautiful detail.Always thought they look like a concept bike,or a storm trooper commuter.
As such I think they're pretty timeless and lend themselves very well to modernisation.M77X series looks great on them I reckon.
Personally I wouldn't be able to stop myself polishing the hell out of the ally,but that's me!
Nice choice!

When I saw this on ebay, I had a millisecond thought that it was my old one but it wasnt

Here's a couple of my builds and how not to make a too small frame try and fit

We just never got on

file.php

file.php

The frame is a 98 1000DS. The DS had no aluminum lug head tube. I have a 1000 and a 1500DS.

Attachments

• 4F3DDA55-924E-47D3-BA26-97A3D4DEF8FE.jpeg
    4F3DDA55-924E-47D3-BA26-97A3D4DEF8FE.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 5
  • 9381439B-A12E-4534-AB34-8FE7024CA4CD.jpeg
    9381439B-A12E-4534-AB34-8FE7024CA4CD.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 5
Back