90’s Boulder Defiant Rare Lower Pivot Design

Retobikestand

Dirt Disciple
New project underway.. wanted to share the dirty dark photos after hauling this frame home. Quite a cool story coming with this one I’ll be sharing once the build is complete.

This is a steel Defiant, built in 1993, with a lower pivot design later seen on the starship. The original pair of pre-Onza Boulder Bicycles brakes came with it, along with the original Halson fork. S/N is stamped lettering “NINETY EIGHT”

Time to clean it up and get underway on this as-is restoration! My contact who was a framebuilder for Boulder Bicycles estimated 20-50 of the lower pivots were made.

Attachments

• B90ECA0D-A704-4CE2-B72E-45BC335CFB82.jpeg
    B90ECA0D-A704-4CE2-B72E-45BC335CFB82.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 51
  • F21846A5-35CA-497F-A6BF-797CCC3A6DFA.jpeg
    F21846A5-35CA-497F-A6BF-797CCC3A6DFA.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 17D07C31-0850-4EFC-BDE1-995922ACD5D5.jpeg
    17D07C31-0850-4EFC-BDE1-995922ACD5D5.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Such a beautiful design. Hiding it in the top tube kept it clean looking. This was the only full suser i ever thought of buying BITD. Love the ad with the woman getting airborne on one.

It’s a bit like that yeti isn’t it? (Don’t remember the name).

Looks stunning, looking forward to seeing how you transform this rare jewel🤩

actually there is another Boulder model with more similar rear triangle design, the Definant PR (Paris-Roubaix?) from 94
View attachment 680535

Very nice stuff, looking forward to follow your restoration.
The PR is similar indeed. This frame isn’t one though, due to the angle of the seat stays and tire clearance. This frame personally belonged to the framebuilder of the defiant line, fun stories to come.

New project underway.. wanted to share the dirty dark photos after hauling this frame home. Quite a cool story coming with this one I’ll be sharing once the build is complete.

This is a steel Defiant, built in 1993, with a lower pivot design later seen on the starship. The original pair of pre-Onza Boulder Bicycles brakes came with it, along with the original Halson fork. S/N is stamped lettering “NINETY EIGHT”

Time to clean it up and get underway on this as-is restoration! My contact who was a framebuilder for Boulder Bicycles estimated 20-50 of the lower pivots were made.
We used to import/sell these in Germany. Fantastic bike and a very clever full suspension solution and was a lot of fun to ride! Received great reviews in the mags back then, like the German “Bike”.

Back