8Freight Cargo bike - restoration / project

Looking at that early Black one in Velo Vision 09, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it's the same bike as documented on this thread. The basket shape is similar (which differs to later versions) as well as a couple of other similarities with the (older) frame design.

What do you reckon @LunarBike ?

Joe

Some further reading:

Early Black 8Freight review: Velo Vision No. 9 March 2003 (from VCC library)

Article on Yellow 8Freight with Burrows Batwings: Velo Vision No. 14 June 2004 (from VCC library)

Ian Grayson from Adelaide is the 'Ho Chi Minh' Austrialian mentioned in the VV No. 9 article, giving Burrows the idea for the 8F format.
Ian Grayson (& Bruce Steer) have a strong claim as the 'inventor' of both long low and long tail cargo bike formats??
Lots of information and great pictures: https://portadbug.org/links-videos-resources/the-adelaide-longbike-an-earlier-cargo-bike-movement/

View attachment 843048
Thanks for that @Rikoned . a really interesting read! If the first article is anything to go by, the black one in my fleet is about 21 years old!

Looking at that early Black one in Velo Vision 09, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it's the same bike as documented on this thread. The basket shape is similar (which differs to later versions) as well as a couple of other similarities with the (older) frame design.

What do you reckon @LunarBike ?

Joe
I wondered the same thing. And it could be, but it has a different stand mechanism and mount, a type that I haven't seen before. This is from the bottom picture on page 24 of the article. But it still could be because the black one in this thread has had a second idler pulley mount added and some welding done on the front cargo basket bar, where the chain had rubbed.

The other detail is that the mike burrows signature decal is not present on the black bike, but that doesn't mean much if it was peeled off.

Difficult to say.

I heard somewhere, on the velo-ads video of me and my bike with mike burrows, that he made 100 or so before production went to taiwan. so I have 3 of 100. I wonder how many are left? There is a show us your cargo bike thread on this forum. maybe we need a show us your 8 freight thread?

More reading:
'From Bicycle to Superbike', Tony Hadland and Mike Burrows; Hadland books 2006

Attachments

• From Bicycle to Superbike Hadland Burrows  pp 95 web.jpg
    From Bicycle to Superbike Hadland Burrows pp 95 web.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 13
  • From Bicycle to Superbike Hadland Burrows  pp 96-97 web.jpg
    From Bicycle to Superbike Hadland Burrows pp 96-97 web.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 12
  • From Bicycle to Superbike Hadland Burrows  pp 159 web.jpg
    From Bicycle to Superbike Hadland Burrows pp 159 web.jpg
    867.6 KB · Views: 11
Velo Vision No.49 September 2015; "Fast freighter fully finished" pp 22-26 (review of Taiwanese made 8F)

Attachments

• Velo Vision No. 49, September 2015 pp 22(V-CC Library).pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Velo Vision No. 49, September 2015 pp 23 (V-CC Library).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Velo Vision No. 49, September 2015 pp 24 (V-CC Library).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Velo Vision No. 49, September 2015 pp 25 (V-CC Library).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Velo Vision No. 49, September 2015 pp 26 (V-CC Library).pdf
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 4
Late to the party again! I'm loving all of this.

@LunarBike you are doing everything exactly as Mike would do in regards to machining. He would be very impressed with your efforts for sure. If you were not in any doubt before you will definitely know that no 8 Freight is exactly the same - at all!

I should have probably told you that helicoils are your friend. Mike had a habit of using steel bolts directly into alloy threads which wasn't ideal for heavy duty cargo stuff. I have used these in tthe past in areas such as the little block that mounts that mech hanger arm.

As for any manual, I never came across one. If I broke something I would normally call Mike and his response was normally along the lines of "It's just the way you ride it" :LOL:

@Rikoned That chap on the yellow 8F was my old boss! He added the bikes as transport in the early days of the company I work for.He also discussed the addition of the 'batwings' so we could carry projection screens. These were unique to our fleet as far as I am aware.

The wheel covers were a pain so they ended up being lost. At one point we had 4 yellow near identical versions. IIRC that particular bike ended up being scrapped (not my decision) or was rewelded and used as dog transport...

We also had a yellow Ratcatcher briefly for express deliveries, but that was sold just before I started working there - I would have loved to have had a go on that!

I have a load of images of me up to all sorts of mischief on these. I'll have a poke around and add some on this thread if the OP doesn't mind :)

I think the last bit I will tackle is the gas strut and actuator for the stand. I have fitted a 1000N strut that @mynchiboy gave me, but I think it is too strong. the ones on the other bikes are 400n.

All the gas struts I've ever played with have a tiny grub screw that you can open to let out some of the pressure if it's too strong, check yours to see if it has one. If it does and you want to let out some of the pressure just crack it open until you hear it hissing and then shut it and try to see if it's any easier, rinse & repeat until happy but don't let too much out or you'll be buying a new strut.

From Bicycle to Superbike', Tony Hadland and Mike Burrows; Hadland books 2006
That first photo is taken in Norwich Cathedral Close. Number 71 is in the background, which was Norwich School's music department. Erpingham Gate is just out of sight on the right hand side.
Also, following for updates...

Latest posts

Back