8 speed freehub body on an XT M732 rear hub?

JBT

Retro Newbie
Hi, new here, lurked for a while without posting, it's a great site BTW.

I've got a '95 Kona Kilauea that I've had since '98 (bought as a frame and P2 then added the bits to make it a runner). A few weeks ago I accelerated away at an island and the chain gave way, prompting me to knee the speed computer 3 feet into the air as I nearly went arse over t*t, which got run over by the van behind me...

So after getting back home I hit the net to start searching for a new chain. I found a scan of the '95 Kona catalogue on retrobike and found out that the Kilauea ran an 8 speed setup, not a 7 as I had been running for years! Dropping the new chain on for a test run obviously showed up the cassette wear, so i've got hold of a NOS M735 XT 8 speed cassette, with the intention of at least having the right amount of gears for the bike as it was made, with the correct kit (Also got some SRT-600 gripshifters too). Trouble is, the rear hub is an XT M732 7 speed, 1990 from the date code - the guy i bought it off obviously kept most of the '95 kit when he sold the frame and fork to me.

So after all this babbling, my question is, will an 8 speed freehub body you can buy off the shelf fit a 7 speed M732 hub? If so, which ones? I know the wheel will have to be redished etc. I would rather keep the hub and just change the freehub, as the hub is in good nick and the freehub is starting to go anyway. Looking at wiggle, SJS cycles etc, there are a few different 8 speeders out there, I've got no idea what'll fit and what won't!

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Hey JBT,

Welcome :cool:

Prepare to be drawn in big time by this site ;)

Better put the wallet away now :LOL:

My understanding is yes an 8sp cassette body can be fitted but you may also need to adjust/alter change the axle too.

Cheers,

MArk

Ha ha see what you mean Mark, i've spent the last hour rolling back through the pages at threads and it only felt like 10 mins!

Cheers for the info. Time to get the ££ out.

Back