56cm Raleigh 531 audax/tour - now down to £175 SOLD

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
This is a 1980's built Raleigh, in 531 tubing. It's got a 56cm seat tube, centre to top, and the top tube is 54.5cm, centre to centre.

The elderly chap I bought this off had it built to his spec (not the spec it now has) as a leaving present when he retired from work. The lugs are really neatly filed and the gear cable routing goes under the BB. The green paint was a special order and is still original. It has mudguard eyes and two sets of bottle bosses. It has cable guides on the top tube but sadly one of them is missing, which is why you can see a zip tie towards the rear of the top tube.

A bit of research has uncovered that this was built at the Nottingham factory somewhere around late 80's/90's.

The frame had a small amount of rust on the right hand chain stay and where the brake calliper had caught the frame near the rear gear shifter on the down tube. I've rubbed these areas back to the bare metal and treated with Kurust treatment and all is well - it was surface rust only. I have covered these with a carbon patch on the down tune and just some insulation tape as a chain stay protector. The rest of the paint is generally scratched and chipped but there is no nasty rust anywhere. It's all straight with no dents or damage anywhere, other than the missing cable guide mentioned above.

It's built up with a mix of parts, most of which are really nice quality.

Shimano 105 headset in good condition
Adjustable stem
3TTT Forma SL drop bars (brand new)
TRP brake levers - brand new and v expensive!
Brand new cork tape
Shimano 105 dual pivot brakes - good working condition but sadly rust on the chrome bolts
Shimano RSX triple chainset in good condition, with X-Lite crank bolts
Shimano GS200 mechs
Shimano 105 downtube shifters - 6 or 7 speed indexed - currently set up as 6 speed index
Selcof seatpost (I thought it was a Campag one but it's not - looks like a Chorus!)
Beaten up yellow Turbo saddle - very comfy but looks a bit rough!
Wheels: a mixed bag - front has a nice Gold Ofmega hub running smooth, on a Mavic MA40 rim which is running true. Spokes are a mess - if I was keeping it, I'd have the front wheel respoked. The rear is a no name hub on a Rigida rim - this is in good condition and the spokes are good on this one! Running a 6 speed screw on freewheel which is running well but looks a bit scruffy. Both hubs could probably do with a re-grease.
Tyres - rear is a used (repaired) folding Gatorskin with little wear and the front is a Michelin Axial

It has been completely re-cabled with new high quality inners and outers and all gears and brakes are working perfectly. The bar tape, bars and brake levers are all brand new and un-used.

I've given it a test ride in this new spec and it rides beautifully - I'd keep it if my garage wasn't already full of bikes!!!!

I'm looking for £220 as above

Also:

I have a brand new unused set of Continental Tour 32c tyres that I can add for an extra £25

Untitled by velocipede65, on Flickr

Re: 56cm Raleigh (Ilkeston) 531 audax/tour - spec options

I'll entertain offers on any of the above combinations…..need to sell

Cheers

Re: 56cm Raleigh 531 audax/tour - new spec and photos

Just built it back up with drop bars and nice new levers, tape, cables, etc - new photos, price and spec posted above

Re: 56cm Raleigh 531 audax/tour - price drop to £180 complete!!

Lots of views but no interest suggests I've got the price wrong - so £175?

Back