52cm Pinarello Asolo (?) - £125 E. London

LondonClassic

Retro Guru

asolo.JPG

As common on this era Pinarello the decals have flaked off and the glue that held them is annoyingly unshiftable by heat...so unless you intend to ride as is its probably respray time. Fork chrome looks ok bar the inner blades. All the pantos and cutouts point to a genuine bike. If you're prepared for elbow grease this is good value IMHO.

Would be good for a home respray as its one colour all over apart from masking the chrome chainstay, which is easily done with frog tape.
Rust on chrome forks comes off quite well with scrunched up tinfoil and lemon juice!

Not bad price, Cromor has a nice ride quality to it.

Would be good for a home respray as its one colour all over apart from masking the chrome chainstay, which is easily done with frog tape.
Rust on chrome forks comes off quite well with scrunched up tinfoil and lemon juice!

Not bad price, Cromor has a nice ride quality to it.
I have one of these myself - the chrome around the vent holes at the inside top of the blades is blown by the looks. You could remove with the tinfoil and white vinegar trick but then your options are a replate or some hydrate 80 to neutralise the corrosion (black) or clear nail varnish to seal it in and remain looking silver-ish. A re-chrome would be £200 at least unless you know some backstreet metal finisher. The chrome is generally good on these but this looks the wrong side of recoverable - in that area.

Nothing wrong with Cromor. Reynolds snobs will remind you its seamed tubing but I can't say I ever noticed. This era of 'rello is decent, before they fell out with Colombus and aspired to make plastic bikes in China that look melted.

100% on a DIY respray. Nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Back