29er Winter Tyre Recommendations - please nicely

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've moved to the dark side and bought a 29er - and it's come with Rocket Rons on it, which I like in the summer when it's drier (ho ho ho).
So my initial thoughts are a Wicked Will in 2.25" at the back - and a Nobby Nic at 2.4" on the front.

Or Vittoria Barzo - which seem very light at 660g

Or a Maxxis Ardent combo?

Any thoughts :)

Not sure I’d ride any of those in winter, would even use an Ardent on the front in summer! It’s very terrain dependant though. What kind of stuff are you going to be riding, as that makes a big difference.

Mostly XC, fire/forest roads with the odd trip to a trail centre - all of which are kinda gloopy this time of year.
I am running Nobby Nics on my 26ers at the mo.

Difficult choice then, as you are not needing anything too extreme. I like a Maxxis DHR front and rear at this time of year but may be overkill for forest roads. Ardent rear works if is its thin skittery mud on a firmer base but not great in deeper mud. Magic Mary in one of the firmer compounds isn’t as draggy and it looks and can be paired with a Nobby Nic out the back.

Not tried them yet but the updated Forekaster is getting good reviews for that sort of riding. Only available in 2.4 which as it’s Maxxis is more 2.2/2.3.

No experience of Vitoria tyres. Ordered them once but the two tyre types had totally different coloured tan walls and I couldn’t handle that, so sent them back.

Very similar thread on STW which might also point you in right direction.

I've got a 2.4 Magic Mary and 2.25 Nobby Nic on my 29" full suss. They cope ace with trail centres at all times of year.

Winter 650b hard tail has 2.6 Magic Mary and Hans Dampf which are pretty heavy but very grippy.

Basically, Magic Mary up front!😂

Back