1999 Turner RFX first generation (Medium 17-18inch)

yannis70

Retro Newbie
Sadly the time has come to part with my much-loved Turner RFX. It's a true four-bar (Horst Link) before Mr Turner was forced to go faux-bar and then dw-link. This is one super-active bike, with a fox piggy-back coil shock delivering 125mm (I think) of travel. It was their first free-ride bike, and this was considered long travel then. Nonetheless, the quality of the suspension action makes up for the relatively short travel. It's geometry is also excellent, and was ahead of its time. Beautiful machining around the BB/pivots, gussets on head-tube and seat-tower. The frame is over-built, unlike the popular 5-Spot, so there is no chance of this one cracking!

Well-ridden but well-maintained. Full respray about three years ago, ridden probably 30 times since. I have replaced the bushes twice over its life (most recently during the respray), and the rear end remains laterally stiff.

It also has the rare (and lovely) coloured head-badge.

Some original/period kit:
Race Face square-taper chainset, with triple and double/bash supplied.
Gold-tech Draco hubs, hope mono M4 brakes, hope headset
Gravity-dropper seatpin (or Thompson Elite if preferred)
Flite saddle
Thompson stem (OS, but I can supply 1 inch bar and stem)
First generation XO mech
XTR front mech, X9 shifters

Other kit is more up-to-date, functional stuff:
Rock Shox Revelation 130mm forks (recently serviced)
Maxis High Roller tubeless tyres
Nuke-proof 760mm bars (Race-face DH 1 inch bars can be substituted)
Shimano DX SPD

All-up weight approx 32lbs

£600

I've loved riding this bike, but recently I've found I only take it out 5-10 times a year. I'd like to see it go to a good home! I'm based in Stoke, with easy access to M6 J15.

Attachments

• IMG_5830.jpg
    IMG_5830.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_5829.jpg
    IMG_5829.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_5827.jpg
    IMG_5827.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_5845.jpg
    IMG_5845.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_5844.jpg
    IMG_5844.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_5826.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 758
"The Turner RFX, first introduced in 1999, began life as one of the first purpose-built ‘free ride’ bikes renowned for excellent descending manners and efficient pedaling in a world where few bikes could do both. Subsequent models set new standards for longevity under the harshest conditions, with most RFX’s still in use today." - Turner website

Back