1998 Klein Attitude Comp.....One Very Careful Owner !

patriot66

Retro Newbie
FOR SALE

1998 Klein Attitude Comp......One Very Careful Owner !

(See more photos below description)

Specification : Klein Attitude Comp

Frame:
Size: Large
Weight: 2.9 lbs/1.3 kg
Dimensions:
18" from B/B center to top of top tube
21" long top tube
31" standover height
Material: Klein 'Gradient' Aluminium Alloy Tubing
Paint: Blue to Blue Linear Fade with 'debossed' yellow graphics
Frame No. 21P0797135 (21=top tube length, 0797=July 1997,135=number produced in month)

Components:
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR
V-Brake Cantilevers: Shimano XTR (with Parallel Pull & Cartridge Brake Pads)
Rear Mech: Shimano XTR (Original !)
Front Mech: Shimano XTR
Shifters: Shimano XT
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT (square taper)
Cassette: Shimano HG 8-speed (11t-30t)
Chain: Sachs PC-89R

Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Spider: Middleburn
Chainrings: Middleburn Hardcoat (42t,32t,20t)
Pedals: Cheapo Bear Traps (F.O.C ! I have swapped the SPDs to my Orange)

Gear & Brake Cables: Avid Flak Jacket (Kevlar Outer/Teflon lined/Sealed Ferrules)

Saddle: WTB '98 SST Drop-nose (Ti rails, leather cover & Kevlar corners)
Seat Post: Race Face XY
Seat Post Clamp: Klein (Original !)

Handle Bars: X-Lite Xpert (24" wide, flat, 6000 grade alloy)
Bar Ends: X-Lite Stubbie Pro
Stem: Bontrager 130mm (Original !)
Grips: ODI Yeti Hardcore
Headset: Cane Creek C2 (1")

Forks: 2002 Fox Forx Float 100 RLC (32mm stanchions, Airspring, adjustable Rebound
Lockout & Compression)

Wheels/Hubs: Mavic Crossride (with Ceramic Brake Coating)
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1

Total Weight: 20 lbs/9 kg

Also included: Original 1998 Klein Brochure, Owners Manual and various documents !

I purchased this Klein new as a complete bike in April '98 from Leisure Lakes, Preston.
Over the next 5 years I rode it most weekends all over the UK, on holiday in Europe and sometimes to work and gradually upgraded most components as they wore out. The only original parts are now the frame, seatpost clamp and stem !

This bike has been my absolute pride and joy for 16 years and I am only selling it as I am now almost 50 and no longer the 'racing Whippet' I once was, and so I now find it less comfortable and more tiring on a long day out on the trails. I have recently succumbed to an immaculate 2007 Orange Patriot 66 XCEL......so different and a lot heavier but so comfy !

Since 2003 the Comp has been ridden only occassionally hence it is in superb condition. I have carried out all the maintenance work on the bike and have fitted every new component. It has been cleaned fastidiously and re-lubed after every mucky outing....almost obsessively ! Ask my wife !
As to be expected on a 16 year old mountain bike there are a few minor chips, scuffs and blemishes here and there. The frame is in superb condition with little sign of wear and tear. Any chips or scuffs are mainly on the chainstays and seatstays which I have touched-up properly and which don't really show unless under close scrutiny. There is a miniscule, shallow dent/chip* on the 'u' of 'Attitude' on the left side of the top tube which is barely visible and a recently acquired paint scuff* on the top right of the fork crown which would benefit from a touch-up. I have unsuccessfully tried to match the Fox grey paint myself. (* See the last 2 photos)
The Fox Float forks are in very good condition (apart from that scuff !) but could do with a change of oil and the Lock-out lever is a bit stiff to turn but otherwise are plush, smooth and work fine.
There is some wear to the chainrings but there are plenty of miles left in them yet. The Panaracer tyres have plenty of tread left.

I really DO NOT want to sell my Klein as over the years I have had so many memorable days in the saddle and have invested so much financially and 'emotionally' in it. However, I cannot stand to see it hanging up any longer in my garage gathering dust.....it deserves to be ridden !
I hope 'it goes to a good home' and that someone else will appreciate it and enjoy it as much as I have.

This is a Klein Attitude Comp hand-built and finished by craftsmen in Chehalis, Washington State, USA. It is in fabulous condition. The components are top quality. The frame is a work of art. The paint job is incredible and, as Klein used to say..... 'Nothing Else Even Comes Close' !

So, I am asking £750.00 or nearest sensible offer.

If you require any more information then please ask me. I live near Burscough in Lancashire so let me know if you want to come and have a look. You are more than welcome. I would be happy to deliver it free within a 50 mile radius of my home or I can ship it in the UK by courier for £25. I would prefer payment through PayPal.

More photos below:

Re: I just bought this exact same bike...

...except you clearly put a ton of upgrades on yours. I must say it looks beautiful.

I realize these are not the sought after pre-Trek Attitudes, but this '98 in particular is the prettiest of the post Trek I think. I love that blue and debossed yellow. And I love the way those red Panaracers look with the yellow labeled Mavic wheels. What a great combination.

I haven't picked my bike up yet, but as far as I can tell from the pics and conversation it has XT shifters, Avid brakes, LX crankset, XT front derailleur and XTR rear derailleur. It has Rock Shox Jucy XC on it.

The bike I am buying is also in near mint condition as the owner only road it a few times so it should be well worth adding to over time. I will admit that on a lust factor of 1-10, this '94 Attitude (http://oldklein.com/vanha/kleinit/Attit ... kysamu.htm) with "sea and sky" paint is like an "11", but I know these bikes cost a fortune and I am very happy to have scored my mint '98 for $500 US or 250 sterling.

I'd love to hear about the process you went through in perfecting your bike, what parts you love the most, etc. Looks like you got it in at a pretty good weight. I haven't weighed mine yet, but imagine it's a little heavier with that Judy on it. How do you like that Fox Shox?

I take it you haven't sold it yet? Hard to believe. It's a beaut.

best,

john

Re:

I had one of these. Superb ride. Impressive you got the weight down to 20lbs :shock:

Re: shock upgrade?... perhaps...

btw... I just picked up a Marzocchi Bomber Z4 Flylight 80mm shock to replace the original Judy. I got it for $125 on ebay. Saw it with 5 mins left and no bids and just pushed the button :) I haven't even picked up the bike yet and I'm already upgrading it!

I figure these shocks weigh about the same, so lateral move there, but I've heard the performance of the Marzocchi air shock is much better than the oil dampened/cartridge system Judy (it's the XC.. mostly black with a yellow band) and that the Marzocchi is bullet proof too as far as air shocks go.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I'm going to post this question in a separate post too.

Thanks! - John

Back