1995 Trek 970 16.5" splitting...

jimwah

Old School Hero
Pics here :
https://goo.gl/photos/C3Xj6UGyx3MpFCbn8

I purchased this last week, looked like it was in good condition and I couldn't quite figure out if it was an 18", so I went and had a look, it's the 16.5" frame (although measures 15" ctc) but I bought it anyway because it's lovely. Being rational though it really needs to go, and make some space so I can finish my Trek 8000 project.

The woman I bought it from was the original owner from '95 (!) She and her husband had upgraded it and swapped some parts shortly after buying it, hence the slightly unusual spec. It's stayed this spec for the last 20 years & looks like it sat in the garage for most of that time. It was serviced by Halfords last year *groan* but it does at least have fresh tubes/brake blocks

Trek 970 True Temper Cro Mo, saturn silver w/ purple decals - great condition, chain catcher + chainstay protector fitted from new, so absolutely zero chainsuck and no dents or gouges. Top tube has some light marks from exposed cable routing, and a tiny area of surface bubbling on mudguard mount points.
Judy XC forks in Gold finish (OG spec was rigid or RS Q21's) externally perfect, MCU feel really stiff though
SRT800 Gripshift, I chucked some Ritchey foam grips on, as the onza grips had dried up
LX/XT drivetrain, original and in great condition
Original seatpost + Vetta seat, both looking a little tired
Unusual looking 'ProCraft' headset (was very stiff, I had this apart and lubed it thoroughly, feels much better now - strangely this has pin bearing assembly in it)
Shimano V-Brakes and Levers (OG was LX canti setup)
Coda Hubs and Mavic 222 rims (OG was Matrix + LX hubs)
Budget Halfords tyres, but I'll chuck in some nice Ritchey Folding WCS 2.1
Needs recabling, which I made a start on, but probably won't have time to complete

£150 ono Now £120 Collected from Tring, Herts

I'd consider a trade against a nice set of modern 26" Forks, or 26" wheelset (rim brake only), to chuck on my 8000.

Thanks - Jim

Re: 1995 Trek 970 16.5" Complete Bike

Little bump - still here, offers/swaps considered.

Re: 1995 Trek 970 16.5" Complete Bike

Updated pics in the album in original post :)

Had it partially apart and swapped out the bars/stem for nicer 'icon' items off my other Trek. Had a critical eye on it this evening:

- Good bits, wheels (need a little polish), drivetrain generally, and frame are great
- Bad bits, I noticed left hand X-ray shifter is a reversed right hand shifter, does work though a bit strange! 1/3 of pedal thread looks a bit corroded in 1 crank arm

Back