1990 Rockhopper top tube lengths...

sb88

Devout Dirtbag
Going to pick up a 1990 Rockhopper this weekend. Advertised as a 21" but the catalogue says they only made 20" and 22".
I am looking to go large to get bars level with/1 inch above saddle for a commuter, so am going big for my 5ft9 height, especially as it's a horizontal TT frame. Standover not a major worry. The 22" with 32"ish standover would be 'snug' but similar to a 'french fit' (i.e. large-sized) road bike.

(High bars due to hip surgery and associated back issues - it's as good as it's going to be and I've sold most of my smaller bikes).

But - I have no idea of the TT length on these and the catalogues don't say. I had a 18 inch (17ish C-C) Rockhopper that was way too small for me as a utility bike - had something like a 9cm head tube and needed silly riser bars to get bars up level with saddle. The top tube was around 56cm.

I imagine the top tube on this would be around 60cm if it's a 22" frame, maybe 58cm if it's a 20" frame. (It looks large,: it's probably the 22") I have found that the higher the bars, the less a long TT matters, but 60cm+ might be pushing my luck. My drop bar bikes have 56-56.5cm top tubes, and 580-600mm stack (i.e. medium to large, vs the small-medium that would generally be recommended for my height).

Any help appreciated! Don't want to make an unnecessary trip in the current climate.

Back