For Sale 1979 Mercian Road Bike - 53cm x 56cm

amedias

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A 1979 Reynolds 531 Mercian frame with wrapover stays, (previously) re-finished in metallic green with gold Mercian decals, and with chromed head lugs, rear socks, and fork.

Sizing is not traditional square but it's perfect for me so will suit the longer of body and shorter of leg, or those that like a decent length to stretch out.

Basically it's long and low, 53cm seat tube, 56cm top tube, with a lowish BB. Wheelbase is a touch longer than a pure race frame but it handles very nicely and is great for eating long miles at a decent speed, a plodder it is not, but neither is it a nervous crit bike.

It takes ~57mm brakes and can easily take 30mm+ tyres
Built with a fairly personal (I mean eccentric) mix of my favourite components chosen for a mix performance and reliability.

For those that care about such things it should be Eroica compliant if you fit the right pedals

- Suntour ARX F&R derailleurs shifted by Simplex Retrofriction downtube shifters
- Stronglight TS mid-compact 52/36 170mm chainset
- 7 speed 13-28 Freewheel (brand new with <50miles on chain)
- Shimano 1050 (105) Brakes
- Nitto Mod 177 Bars
- Brooks Swift saddle on an SR P3 forged seatpost.
- Campag (unknown model) hubs on Alesa rims with Clement Strada LGG 28mm tyres (~200miles so barely used)

It has a few minor marks to the paint from use as you'd expect but is in decent condition an the chrome is in great shape. I will be sad to see this go!

This is a private sale but the bike is currently available to view in a localbike shop in Exeter, and I would prefer not to post as it's an old bike and would like any buyer to both inspect and ride prior to purchase to make sure happy, but a courier can be arranged if you contact me to arrange prior to purchase.

Asking £400.00 collected, postage would be extra and charged at cost.

IMG_8594.jpg
IMG_8593.jpg

IMG_8592.jpg

IMG_8591.jpg

IMG_8590.jpg

Back