1965 Moulton Deluxe

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
New to Trebz's stable. The 1965 Moulton Deluxe. I do need to confirm the year ASAP. I've only had a quick look around the bike to make sure the frame was crack free. I will be renovating the bike and I'm planning on a full strip and re spray using my 1988 Specialized Rockhopper as inspiration for the color scheme and decals. Main frame is to be yellow with black accents from the racks. The 'Moulton Delux' decals will be re created (Gil_M hopefully hehe) in the same font and colour of the 1988 Rockhopper decals.

For my own future reference: https://www.moultonbuzz.com/preservation/

Here are the links to the images. Hopefully they all work :)

Last edited:
Subscribed... I'm halfway through a 1964 Mk I Standard at the moment. Was just getting my ar5e in gear to start a thread on it also. Some pics of a previous one I did here if it is any interest. Current one will be a sympathetic restore though.

The year and serial number are normally stamped on the seat post collar, or sometimes under the BB. Apologies if you know this already but they follow this format...

K65 160064 would mean it was built in the Kirkby factory, in 1965, in the 16th week of the year, as the 64th bike built that week.

I found this site to be a lot of help also: Bicycle Hub

Subscribed... I'm halfway through a 1964 Mk I Standard at the moment. Was just getting my ar5e in gear to start a thread on it also. Some pics of a previous one I did here if it is any interest. Current one will be a sympathetic restore though.

The year and serial number are normally stamped on the seat post collar, or sometimes under the BB. Apologies if you know this already but they follow this format...

K65 160064 would mean it was built in the Kirkby factory, in 1965, in the 16th week of the year, as the 64th bike built that week.

I found this site to be a lot of help also: Bicycle Hub

From the attached image I have: 023081 so what would that be? - I'm not sure where the 'K' number has gone but it's not on the seat post collar. I checked both sides and can't see it, maybe it's been filled with paint at the factory.

Attachments

• IMG_20230911_170158.jpg
    IMG_20230911_170158.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
From the attached image I have: 023081 so what would that be? - I'm not sure where the 'K' number has gone but it's not on the seat post collar. I checked both sides and can't see it, maybe it's been filled with paint at the factory.
Going from the first pic, your bike looks like a Mk II Deluxe which was manufactured from 1963 to 1967. I think it is a Raleigh produced frame since it has the combo of a Nottingham headtube badge, a rotated seat tube and a removable crossbar tail. The ovalised seat tube is wider across the bottom bracket when viewed from the rear, whereas on the Bradford-on-Avon produced bikes the seat tube was wider when viewed from the side.

Raleigh production of the Mk II frame ran from 1967 to 1970 (the Deluxe in 1967 and the Major / Major Deluxe from 1968 to 70), therefore, in theory your bike should be from the crossover year of 1967.

A guy called Jack Finucan maintains a register of Moulton bikes and you can add yours to the database by emailing him at moulton dot registry at gmail dot com

There are a few other Deluxes in the database from 1967 but not many at all really. Your’s may be one of a handful made before production of the Major ramped up. Based on the other serial numbers from 1967 onwards, it looks like Raleigh probably changed the serial numbering scheme, so the week / # bike built thing above is likely a bum steer.

P.S. Much of this comes from a book by Paul Grogan (The 'classic' Moulton). I don't want to plagiarise his work.

Last edited:
Going from the first pic, your bike looks like a Mk II Deluxe which was manufactured from 1963 to 1967. I think it is a Raleigh produced frame since it has the combo of a Nottingham headtube badge, a rotated seat tube and a removable crossbar tail. The ovalised seat tube is wider across the bottom bracket when viewed from the rear, whereas on the Bradford-on-Avon produced bikes the seat tube was wider when viewed from the side.

Raleigh production of the Mk II frame ran from 1967 to 1970 (the Deluxe in 1967 and the Major / Major Deluxe from 1968 to 70), therefore, in theory your bike should be from the crossover year of 1967.

A guy called Jack Finucan maintains a register of Moulton bikes and you can add yours to the database by emailing him at moulton dot registry at gmail dot com

There are a few other Deluxes in the database from 1967 but not many at all really. Your’s may be one of a handful made before production of the Major ramped up. Based on the other serial numbers from 1967 onwards, it looks like Raleigh probably changed the serial numbering scheme, so the week / # bike built thing above is likely a bum steer.

P.S. Much of this comes from a book by Paul Grogan (The 'classic' Moulton). I don't want to plagiarise his work.

Thanks you sir, that's just the kind of information I need ;-)

I have been riding the Moulton daily for a few weeks now and can start to imagine the direction I'd like to take it. I have a few questions already so here's a few for you to help out with if you can.

1. I'd like to move away from the standard chain set and use a 90's model, like a Shimano Deore XT or similar. What size of sealed Shimano bottom bracket can I use. I have a few UN71 units in my parts bin along with some lower level BB's.

2. Do you think the Weinmann brake callipers from my Raleigh Merlin would fit the Moulton. The Merlin is being given away for FREE by me at the moment but if I can use the brake callipers on the Moulton that would be cool. I'm not sure at the moment but I don't think they have a long enough ;Drop' to accommodate the Moulton frame and wheel rim.

Link to my FREE Raleigh Merlin: Raleigh Merlin FREE givaway - See Weinmann brake callipers.

Thanks in advance for any advice given :)

2. Do you think the Weinmann brake callipers from my Raleigh Merlin would fit the Moulton. The Merlin is being given away for FREE by me at the moment but if I can use the brake callipers on the Moulton that would be cool. I'm not sure at the moment but I don't think they have a long enough ;Drop' to accommodate the Moulton frame and wheel rim.

Online information suggests a required brake drop of 57mm for a Moulton and 42-62mm for Weinmann 610s, so hopefully they should work. Definitely worth giving it a go as visually it looks like they might just be long enough.

Online information suggests a required brake drop of 57mm for a Moulton and 42-62mm for Weinmann 610s, so hopefully they should work. Definitely worth giving it a go as visually it looks like they might just be long enough.

...................And how cool would it look to have those Weinmann callipers on the Moulton. Centre pull U-Brake style..... :)

Back