Very Old Merlin mtb?!

HuwMetcalfe

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm just trying to find out a bit more about an old Merlin mtb bike frame i have. I picked it up second hand from a bike shop i used to work in a few years back, i was told it was imported from America for quite a sum of money (£2000ish). I think it's late 80's, the frame number is 450 (on inside of rear dropout), it has no stickers other than the head badge (although others may have been taken off by previous owner?). I found a catalogue for an '89 model at goatsurfer, this is very similar except for the fact that my one has the brake bosses on the chain stays, not the seat stays! Could anyone help me out with some more info?! Thanks

it does have an owl on it, when you say an old merlin titanium what do you mean? Old as opposed to what, has the company changed hands and changed logo? Would make sense because I've contacted Merlin and they couldn't help as they said it was before their time. Cheers

RockiMtn". Does the head tube badge have an Owl on it? [/quote said:
I hope you mean a Merlin rather than an Owl - the company is named Merlin after the bird of prey rather than the gay wizard from King Arthur:

merlin6891.jpg

company was originally named Kestrel, but sold that name to another company to raise the funds to start the business. They had to go with another cool US bird.

pete_mcc":1yi2r4hq said:
I hope you mean a Merlin rather than an Owl - the company is named Merlin after the bird of prey rather than the gay wizard from King Arthur:
merlin6891.jpg

:oops: I thought it was an owl, as in Merlin from King Arthur. I always thought the company was named so in respect to how they work "magic" with Titanium.

thanks, so it's an early Merlin! Doe anyone know when they moved the brake bosses to the seat stays? Also is it worth much, some newer ones have gone on ebay for £400ish? Im not really sure if the u-brake mounts and funny push fit BB add or detract value?!

Back