MKM Dominator 1977

Makrie

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all :D

This is a 1977 MKM Dominator, sitting here today pretty much exactly as it left the workstand 30-odd years ago. Originally built up by a bike store owner for his own use, he sold it to the man I bought it from in 1984 or thereabouts. 25 years on, here it is!

Regarding the component list below, I don't really know my vintage parts :oops: and so any corrections or filling-ins (or good links to add!) would be appreciated!

I'm a bit concerned about the rust (?) on the chrome of the fork, I'm keen to swap the rims for clincher rims (but whether to stay retro or to go modern?), and the age and purported lightness of the bars is a worry - but perhaps these issues need separate threads to resolve.

Apologies for the rough and ready photos - I'll swap them for better as / if I manage to take them. Click the thumbnails to make (far too) big. The one of the 531 sticker (the first picture) makes a nice desktop background imo... ;)

Frame: MKM Dominator (1977)
Fork: MKM

Headset: Shimano K-901 / UA-100, Dura-Ace First Gen.
Stem: 3ttt Record? Dunno.
Handlebar: 3ttt Record Competizione Superleggero :shock: What a great name!
Bar Tape: Please tell me - I think it looks great.

Brake Levers: Modolo Professional?
Brake Calipers: Modolo Professional?
Brake Pads: look like being Modolo D-0015 Sinterized Brake Pads
Brake Cables: Don't know. Black.
Brake Cable Guides: Modolo Drilled Housing Clips

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: Suntour Superbe Pro... but Velobase says these are from the mid eighties - a later addition to the bike?
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Cyclone GT Black
Derailleur Cables: Don't know. Black.
Derailleur Cable Guides: Campagnolo Cable Guide 626/A
Cassette: Don't know. Sorry.
Chain: Don't know. Again. Sorry.
Cranks: Campagnolo 1049/A Strada Super Record
Chainrings: Campagnolo Strada Super Record
Bottom Bracket: Don't know. Bet it's sweeter than I deserve though.
Pedals: Barelli Supreme

Rims: MilRemo Montreal Durex Allumag Monocellulare tubular
Hubs: OMAS
Hub Skewers: OMAS
Nipples: Don't know. Brass.
Spokes: Don't know. Silver.
Tyres: Vittoria Nuovo Pro tubular

Saddle: Selle Italia Condor
Seatpost: Campagnolo 4051 Super Record (Campagnolo Script)
Seatpost Bolt: Don't know. Silver.

Weight: Don't know. But I'd kinda like to! :roll:

Cheers! :D

MKM

That's a lovely british road bike,looks like you've just caught it in time before the rust takes a proper hold although the forks maybe too pitted.You could always just have them rechromed?

Ta for pics

MKM

Nice looking bike- Whats the frame number on this one?
(currently have 4 MKM bikes-getting to be a bit of a fetish!!)
DNS

Thanks all! :D

I'd never heard of MKM before I found this one - now I love them!

Regarding the rust and pitting - I quite like the original 'patinated' finsih, but equally I'd quite like the patination to stop now - is there any way to do that that folk know of? @JMOSER: Do you reckon the fork looks safe as is? Is pitting fatal to them? I'll be googling that now!

@DNS: First up, I'd love to see photos of your collection, sounds great! Are they all road bikes, or a mix of the different styles? I've just posted a 'want' ad for a path racer or road going fix, inspired by this: http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg/2006/ssg0 ... k0706.html :D . As for mine, the frame number is 5173, I think. Does that seem about right? The garage was quite dark when I went to look just now and it's possible (just) that the leading 5 is actually something else.

@pistolpedro: I was quite tempted by http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0461844611 but decided to get the one I've got out and about first. They are good looking - and seem (not that I know bikes that well) really nicely put together.

Basically I'm now keen to get a date appropriate clincher wheel set for it. I've never used tubulars before and feel a bit apprehensive. I'm also keen to use tyres a bit bigger than the 22's that are on it now. When I went out to check the frame number I had a look at the rear tyre / chain stay clearance. A bit bigger is all I'll manage... it is tight! If anyone has any ideas / leads on a nice wheelset for it, please let me know!

Three cheers for MKM! :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
MKM

Hi Again,

forks will be safe,just cosmetic.

There's something about MKM's,good honest frames.

I have price lists,brochures which I can copy if you're interested from when I went to workshop early 80's. PM me if you're interested.

Nice bike - as all MKM's seem to be. Well proportioned frame.

5173 is probably correct for 1977, mine is 6148 (I think) so one of the very last built in 1980'ish.

Perhaps we ought to have a 'Show us Your MKM's' thread!

One of our members has a full brochure set (can't remember who but will have a look).

MKM

Just checked the frame numbers for my bikes and are as follows;
5123- tandem bought last year (strange things to ride a- can't seem to stop laughing)
5130- tatty bike bought recently but building up to use as a runaround
6123- the only one I can date as bought new in 1979 from a bike shop in Colne, Lancashire. I remember they had 3 in stock and were all heavily discounted.Built up as best I could afford at the time and a lovely ride.
After many thousands of miles I had it refinished in original colour last year at Ellis Briggs (now super record NOS mostly)
6805-(definitely this number) bought NOS last year for my wife.Didn't get any history when I bought it from a bike building concern in London- they had only just come across it themselves.
I wonder if it was made by the chap who owned Hills cycles after MKM went bankrupt? It is a classic MKM build with MKM set into they stays and almost perfect paintwork, lovely transfers in 3D and is almost finished with the build-waiting for good weather only riding!

I wonder what frame number they started with as I have never seen anything earlier than 5000.
DNS

MKM

Hi Old Ned, t'was me who sent copies of MKM brochures to you, i'm going to do the same for D N S.

D N Stone,post some pics of your MKM's,be good to see.

Back