Trek 8700, Strip and Polish or New Frame?

stevec1975

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Found this site a few weeks and it has really wetted my appetite to get my old bike all spangly again!

Current Spec:

Frame: 1992 Trek 8700 Carbon/Alu
Forks: Pace RC36 Pro Class (want to Swap out for RC31 Rigid with V Mounts)
Shifters/Levers: XTR M950 8 Speed
Brakes: XTR V M950
Hubs: Hope Ti
Rims: Mavic X517
Skewers: XTR
Rear Mech: XTR M950
Front Mech: XTR M950
Spokes: Ti (2cross Front, 2 + 3cross Drive Side Rear)
Cranks: Middleburn RS3 with Pace Rings 45,34,24 and Syncros Crank-o-Matics
Seatpost: Syncros Ti 10th Anniversary 27.2
Seat: Flite
Stem: Syncros
Bars: Scott Carbon LFX

Pics:
IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Frame is 1992, I upgraded most/all parts when I worked in a bike shop at Uni in 97, and all are in good to excellent condition, I just need a new project and am wanting to do one of the following

Option 1:
Restore/Strip and Polish Frame.
Has anyone ever stripped down a Trek Carbon/Alu frame back to the alu then polished it up? any photos? How good are the underlying lugs/tubes for polishing? Any problems with re-laquering the carbon, where would I get decent Repo Transfers?

Option 2:
Buy a New Frame, possibly Ti, Needs to be a 27.2 Post and 1.1/8 Head and 17 or 18" Size. Anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

hi sorry i dont have the answers you need but just wanted to say that is a very nice bike

:cool:

It looks great as is. Would certaily not recommend rubbing down the frame, so would go with option 2 of locating another frame.

Thats a nice looking bike :cool:
I would leave the carbon alone, but I can see where your coming from with the polishing.
I think polishing the ally would look great next to the carbon and give the bike a bit of a face lift, (not that it's ugly in anyway cos it's not).

option two.....i would leave that frame alone,its value lies in its originality.....very nice it is too!!

That looks so lovely,

Really makes me wish mine was a 17" like yours and not a farm gate sized 19"

Latest posts

Back