Who is this bearded teenager?

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Just found this photo while skimming through some old 'International Cycle Sport' magazines (1968 -73 era). This photo is in the Sept '71 edition and it shows the top 3 in an inter-school hillclimb.

It's the guy in the middle - the one with the beard of a size and density I can only dream of even now, never mind at 16!

He looks quite pensive, I wonder if he was dreaming of how his future would develop :?: :cool:

Attachments

• ICSSept71.jpg
    ICSSept71.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,729
looks kinda like a mate of mine without the beard , which i think is put on for the photo :LOL: hes looking at a fixed point as if waiting for the moment to pull the beard off

the guy on the right however has a look about him that seems to predict the pending 09 retro marin explosion :shock:

i can see the guy on the right being soley responsible for all old marin sales in the next year

It's Kaiser, innit?

212032216847d1654734c6a.jpg

Looking closely at the photo, it was shot in Marin County!

The "Marin" cycle cap long predates the bike company of that name, and is from the Marin Cyclists, the first big local bike club. You can also see on the jersey the beginning of the words "San Rafael," most likely his high school here in Marin County.

The guy with the beard looks to me like a fellow rider from that era named Barry Allen.

I'm pretty sure the guy on the right is Marc Horwitz, who rode for Marin Cyclists and held a junior national 10-mile TT record.

Well, I'm amazed the US members haven't spotted who it is - especially with the list of bikes owned, one of which was built by this guy! However, you are correct about the Marin Cyclists Club cap, they helped organise the races.

The Guy on the right is called Jerry Heidenreich, the left is named Joe Harvin and the centre one with the beard is - go on, have another guess!

Back