New Hope BB

Just fitted a NOS Ti Hope BB sq taper to my Goat, so got excited for a minute! Then saw its an external BB jobba. Have tried the Race Face and Shimano ext BB, and quite honestly, they are not good. Stiffen up in no time. Mind you the bearings in the Syncros Ti sq taper in the Rocky died in no time too.

UN72/3 rule.

:oops: sorry it not retro. but looks better than the standard 'S' set up. Plus British :D I like buying British.
£65 or 95 or the ceramic version

Just fit a shimano BB and it will last you a lifetime . no need to worry about it .

I have tried a race face and had to change it after a few months .

a lifetime? u need to ride more ;) I get 4-6months outta UN72/3 on the road commuter before theres play & knocking noises. I swear they used to last longer BITD?

chris king have had proto BBs since 95, its about time they launched a thru axle BB!!. the shimano last ok if you reg regrease... tho i'm gonna try a hope when the shimano needs replacing

EDIT, king arent commiting as shimano are adopting the new no thread push fit bb bearings & want to make this commonplace in coming years. yeti ASRc, trek madone, chris cocalis of ex-titus fame new rang of bikes using this style of BB already... kinda funny, bullseye cranks with klein/fisher/fat chance/ merlin push fit bearings style... no new inventions huh ;) :LOL:

legrandefromage":3s0pckmb said:
My UN72 has covered at least 50,000 from new, fitted 1993.

Maybe they were better.... who knows

seriously? mines fecked in less than 2000!

here it is waiting for rebuild no. 38

The frame and BB have been in salt water at Hunstanton and underwater whilst taking photos of the 1998 floods around St. Ives Cambs - I'll scan photos of this as soon as. :shock:

Attachments

• DSC01044.JPG
    DSC01044.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,481
American Classic still make square taper bb's with steel or Ti axle. Ti for $99!

Action Tec, and TA Specialites also make Ti sq taper ones too, and for £57 posted there is a guy selling some OMAS ones that I came accross too!

BB

Crank Brothers make nice cartridge ISIS BB's and they're less than £40 with Merlin cycles.
I've had a few of Shimano's and they did'nt last long at all.
Just out of interest is it possible to fix an old Ti Hope BB? Got one that came with my Pace.The previous owner said the bearings have gone. :?:

Latest posts

Back