2012 Genesis Croix de Fer

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
This arrived at Barreg cycles in Chichester over 3 weeks ago, and I've been fighting illness and office bureaucracy/politics since then trying to get my grubby little paws on it.

Fast forward to today, it's been in said paws for 5 full days and i've put 85 miles on it already :cool:

CroixdeFer1.jpg

Frame: Genesis Croix de Fer - Reynolds 725

Fork: Genesis Cr-Mo

Headset: Genesis 1-1/8
Stem: Genesis Alloy
Handlebar: Genesis 6061 Alloy Drop
Grips: Shockproof Brown Tape

Brakes: Avid BB7
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables:
Brake Levers: Shimano Tiagra STi

Shifters: Shimano Tiagra STi
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra 10spd
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra 10spd
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: Shimano Tiagra 10spd 12-28
Chain: Shimano Tiagra 10spd
Cranks: Shimano Tiagra 170mm
Chainrings: Shimano Tiagra Compact
Bottom Bracket: HollowTech
Pedals: Shimano m520

Hub Skewers: ?
Rims: Alex DX-Lite
Hubs: Shimano M475
Nipples: ?
Spokes: Stainless Black
Tyres: Continental Cyclocross Race
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Genesis Road CrMo Rail
Seatpost: Genesis 6061 27.2mm

Weight: I think it's around 25lbs

Massive thanks to everyone who helped, especially Thorpie, Wu, Klein-Mad-Chris, GreenRabbit and bat40a6

50 mile ride out with GreenRabbit today..first one I've managed, hopefully it won't be the last

BobCatMax":1t08mavr said:
50 mile ride out with GreenRabbit today..first one I've managed, hopefully it won't be the last

Great stuff , When we visited the new local bike shop a few months ago I saw one of these beauties for the first time ....They ooooozzzeee retro and class ...Loved it :cool:

Look forward to seeing on the June brewery road ride :D

Thanks daj,

Not sure I'm going to be able to make that now. looks like the missus might have to work, which makes everything else a bit of a mission :(

bike update - more than a little disappointed, the headset has started to seize. First noticed it in the middle of last week before a couple of long rides home from work. the handle bars started to have what can only be described as a default position, almost like a notch dead ahead. went out for a good thrash yesterday and I can actually hear the bearings grinding in the headset and the steering is very weird. trying to move it out of forward to turn is a little battle!

Organising to book it in for it's service anyway next weekend, so will have to talk to them about that.

not good for a bike only a month or so old :(

not good on the headset front. sounds like it was too tight to start with? may of course just be a bit of dirt got in there.

One of the bikes I love. I have a frame + fork at home. Next week I go to build up this frame for someone. It's always sad....I want to ride that bike by myself. It's build up with a complete SRAM force and other black stuff.

Sounds bad, I also think the headset was tighten to much and if you drive over a lot of cobbles.....

But, after the first bad luck.......It never fails anymore!!

Best Regards,

Richard

BobCatMax":qpv3mbre said:
bike update - more than a little disappointed, the headset has started to seize. First noticed it in the middle of last week before a couple of long rides home from work. the handle bars started to have what can only be described as a default position, almost like a notch dead ahead. went out for a good thrash yesterday and I can actually hear the bearings grinding in the headset and the steering is very weird. trying to move it out of forward to turn is a little battle!

Back off the pre-load a bit - it that doesn't cure it, then remove the forks and turn the headset bearings (not the cups, just the ball races) through 90° and then reassemble. So that "straight ahead" is now in a different position on the races, in other words.
I know you shouldn't have to do this at a month old but these things happen (like Shimano hubs adjusted far too tight when they come from the factory).

Nice bike - one of these has been on my list for a while now but I'm not sure whether I'd actually end up using it much :?

Thanks for the advice, help and encouragement guys. I'm actually quite surprised at how such a minor thing has knocked me. I know its a simple fix, and that it had better all still be under warranty etc, but i'm really rather depressed about it.

It's an hour long drive to the bike shop, so hopefully the missus and I can spend the day in Chichester next weekend whilst it's being sorted.

Not sure what headset to have it replaced with, as listening to you guys and chatting to my mate at work, it sounds like their own branded (el-cheapo?) headset hasn't been up to the job at hand. Any suggestions?

@ Andy R - I agree and thanks. Normally I would get straight on this and fettle away til it was fixed, but this bike is less than 7 weeks old, and apart from a clean and a replaced inner tube i haven't touched it mechanically. I don't feel this issue should have happened at all!

The problem aside though, the bike is amazing. Up until this it really felt like a do anything bike, and once this is fixed I'm sure it will again. Easily kept up with the guys on mtb's round my local trails the other weekend, and rinsed them on the road sections. I would thoroughly recommend it (except the headset :roll: )

thanks Richard & jama. fingers crossed it'll all be fixed fairly quickly

not the start to 30daysofbiking and The Peoples Grand Tour i was hoping for though!

Back