1997 Kona Explosif 19" Frame with Fox F80X Terralogic f

stretchneck

Dirt Disciple
I purchased the frame and fork for a project I was going to complete, but have managed to get myself a Kona Pahoehoe which I'm very happy with so these have to go.

5730476647_7ba2b4693b_b_d.jpg

The frame is a 1997 19" Kona Explosif made from Columbus Max steel, all in all pretty good original condition (including decals) apart from paint wear on rear stay as shown. Seat post diameter is 27.0mm.

The Fox F80X is from 2003 and in excellent condition, it's quite a short fork (i.e. not excessively long from the steerer to the Q/R) and is therefore well suited to this frames classic geometry. The F80X is a 80mm cross country fork with Terralogic cartridge which works as an auto-lockout. It has an adjustable threshold for you to set how big a bump starts the fork moving so it's pretty good for a hard tail. Steerer is 180mm. Hope Blanker\Brake guide included depending upon if you run discs or v-brakes (the frame is v-brake only unless you use an A2Z adaptor, or better still brake therapy conversion kit).

Am looking for £450 for the frame and fork, ideally collection from around Oxford.

First dibs on here please.

suburbanreuben":3qgh1ac0 said:
How long is the head tube of the frame?
Does this fork fit the frame? :?

19" Kona usually have a 130mm headtube, so unless they changed the geometry for '97 onwards the fork steerer is too short for the frame OR you can find a very low stack stem.

Steerer length

The fork does fit, but it will only take one shim/stack/spacer at max, different degree angles of stem or riser bars could be used if you don't like an aggressive XC type position and want more height.

I can post a picture of the forks in the headtube if you like, but I think you can probably make out what you need from the attached photo.

You'd be better off selling them seperately.
Nice frame, nice forks, but very doubtful that they'd fit together. The steerer's about 20mm too short for this frame.

suburbanreuben":3akd1bqw said:
You'd be better off selling them seperately.
Nice frame, nice forks, but very doubtful that they'd fit together. The steerer's about 20mm too short for this frame.

agreee with this, my 19" kilauea needs about 210mm steerer to have enough spacers so its not back breaking

It's not just the spacers; That frame looks to have , as CK says, about 130mm head tube. Since an "average" headset has a stack height of 30mm, and a stem clamp is 40mm, you need a steerer length of 200mm, without spacers.
Since these forks are supposedly 180mm steerer, then they're way too short.
Ecen with a Crank Bros 20mm stack headset you'll still be needing a 30mm stem clamp. Anyone ever seen one of them? I haven't.

Back