Orange Elite '92 - Finished at last pg2 (for now...)

Archemist

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Here's my first attempt at a proper retro build.

BITD I cruised the streets (and the odd hillock) on my '88 Courier as an impoverished student with a (relatively) flash bike :LOL:

Always liked Oranges but time and cash prevented an upgrade from the fox.

So now I am building a bike for me as "I" would have if I could have back then.

The imagined starting point is a '92 Elite frame with "lowly" DX or LX kit (as the cheapest variant ATT).

I'm then updating with kit from the time, and say next 4 years, just as if i'd gone to the LBS every couple of months from new.

Whilst I think XTR 900 is superb, I like the cool grey of the 950 series (and as as an aesthetic foil to all that shine!!!). The 950 still looking like bike kit first and not just 'bling' (that's my excuse anyhow)

some unripe segments.... (wheels and bars just on for 'sizing')

IMG_0207.jpg

I'd welcome any help and advice as my knowledge is limited (to internet and here :cool: )

Apol's to Hawki - i didn't know his bike even existed until yesterday!!!!

Do i clean back and polish - frame good shiny but marked (but i like the patina)? mine still has the 3m protection strips in good condition!

Need proper decals (and been in touch with Gil-m) obv...

Frame: '92 Orange Elite 19" (thanks ellillowladex)

Fork: Pace R35 MXCD with genuine front brace canti mount (NOS from Justbackdated / thanx MaxThe)

Headset: Dia Compe 1 /1/4 Aheadset (cheers Gt-steve)
Stem: Control Tech 110 x 1 1/4 std bar (gary turner no less!)
Handlebar: Orange Hot Rod
Grips:some ole kona's!

Brakes: Dia Compe 987 in da'blue! NOS (polish!)
Brake Cables: XT black
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills (might be blue)
Brake Levers: Good ole SS7's (guess the colour)

Shifters: XC Pro 7/8 Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro DP 35mm (Grecian ebay)
Rear Derailleur:XC Comp (until NOS XC Pro)
Derailleur Cables:XT
Cassette: 8 speed XT HG (at present)
Chain: Shimano 9 speed
Cranks: Suntour XC Pro (ta ishaw)
Crank Bolts: cheepies
Chainrings: XC Pro 46/26 and BBB CNC 36
Chainring bolts: Suntour nos (£6.80 no less!)
Bottom Bracket: XC Pro GG 126mm Axle
Pedals: Tioga Surefoot VI

Hub Skewers: suntour XC
Rims: Mavic 517
Hubs: XTR 950 rear / Pace Lock carbon / blue (not pictured)
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: IRC Mythos Rustwall

Saddle: X-Kite PSS Kevlar Blue
Seatpost: Syncros T6016 31.6
Seatpost Binder: Control tech on Orig clamp

Weight: Aiming for <24lb (act 24.2lb thus far with Specialized crossroads)

And :cool: :cool:

Saw this for sale and was temted myself, looks like you've got a great base for the build you describe. If you do a search you'll find some other builds of elite and O with reference to polishing etc.

Good luck

:D :D

Will be watching this one with interest. Still wish I hadn't sold mine :(

I stripped at the laquer off mine with nitromoors then polished it up with autosol. It's hard work so if the laquer on yours is ok I'd leave it. Check out boy"O"boys Elite build thread as he details how he polished his ;)

cheers for the comments

the lacquer is good but is scratched locally so am going to experiment on the stays to see if i can spot polish / re-lacquer.

:cool:

annual update!!!

:D

having acquired some lovely decals via the site (thanks Edd / brocklanders023) i've set to breaking the elite back down and polishing her up :cool:

Here's a couple of shots after 2 days solid stripping and shining....(excuse the iphone pictures - SLR is flat!)

The finish is generally straight and with a true shine - it shows how little the bike was actually used in anger - much better than the photo's suggest. When i can find me camera charger i'll do some proper piccies.

IMG_0505.jpg

and another for those not bored to tears by shiny bikes....

IMG_0504.jpg

i've used a variation on boy-o-boys polishing technique (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... e&start=15)

I used paint stripper to soften the lacquer - it's generally two coats - wiped / plastic scraperred (?) the worst off and then an autosol dipped very fine (00-0 grade) wire wool to remove the rest.

This doesn't take away too much metal nor does it leave too much burring.

The occasional scrape and scratch were dremelled using a soft polishing buff. The technique I found best with the dremel was to wipe a thin smear of autosol on the area and then polish it black with the dremel. wipe and repeat as necessary.

I used polishing cloths - flannels and hand towels from the value Asda range - £1.49 for 2 cotton hand towels and 99p a pair of flannels. Hot wash (on their own :roll: ) and use again.

I've just got the rear stays to finish and we're rollin...

good job so far mate, pulled up a chair for this :cool: one.....

thanks for the encouragement.

i'm a bit worried that after 4 days polishing i'm actually enjoying myself :shock:

I'm sooo glad I took the plungs and started shining. Althought the bike looked ok at first glance the yellowing of the lacquer really killed the finish.

Without being overly Ruskinian there's a lot to be said for honest patination just not when it makes your bike look naff! :oops:

A slight change of "build" too it's now going XC Pro from '92 and a new collection has started...

Proper pitcures soon.
:cool:

Back