GT experts - Can you age my GT Palomar???

ginsterdrz

Dirt Disciple
p4pb5961449.jpg

Any idea what age this beauty is?

Had a bit of a frontal impact before arriving with me......oooops!

GT Palomar. 16" frame serial number KA19I6356.

"Caratti" "Seat Tube Cro-Mo" "Made in Taiwan" "Triple Triangle Technology" frame stickers.

SR Suntour XR11 170mm cranks.

Vuelta USA Airline 1 alloy rims on STX RC Paralax hubs FH-MC38A (none standard?)

97/98 ish I reckon.

Please tell me your not planning on riding it before replacing the forks! & check underneath the headtube & downtube for more damage. Looks like it got proper walloped !

Ouch!

Weird thing is there is no damage whatsoever to anything else. Front rim is straight and true, paint is all perfect on the frame and no cracks. Almost as if someone has taken the forks off to bend them.

Late 90's......97/8ish.

But I'd say bin fodder. That has seen a huge impact. Got to be some serious metal fatigue going on there.

looks like the local paperboys bike after we had a head-on crash :LOL: i was running and he was cycling , he came round the corner and i ran right over him :oops: his wheel was touching the down tube like your's :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's a '99 model year, 100%.

Forks are probably hi-ten and so may be quite soft. I'd be interested to know what they weigh when you take them off. I have a set of low end Bologna forks like that from the same year and I don't know if they are cromo or not. Mine are threaded so are from an Outpost, Outpost Trail or Palomar. They weigh just under 1kg which is a typical weight for a DB Bologna cromo fork and other GT cromo forks. In earlier years if it was cromo it would say so on the sticker, but not in 99, they all just said GT. So is the hi-ten version heavier or the same weight but weaker?

I've got a set of those to fit that size frame somewhere, my lad's bike got upgraded to suspension so they're sat in the loft somewhere, I'll dig them out.

Latest posts

Back