KONA KILAUEA FRAME EBAY U.K.

Those are among the worst photos ever taken by mankind, but photo number three does seem to establish without any doubt that it's a size 18 frame. A 19 has much more gap between the top and down tubes.

And of course it's a 1996 Columbus Cyber frame, not a 95 as stated.

Anthony":fvkfo4ns said:
Those are among the worst photos ever taken by mankind, but photo number three does seem to establish without any doubt that it's a size 18 frame. A 19 has much more gap between the top and down tubes.

And of course it's a 1996 Columbus Cyber frame, not a 95 as stated.

:shock: :shock: oh.., thanks Anthony..thats put a smile to my Sunday night :D

Ernie ;)

Compared to my '96 19" cindercone the seat tube looks bigger but the headtube smaller....

Maybe because it's a 95 and the geometry is different - didn't they suspension correct them around this time?

The ad is correct by the way, it is a 95 as the paint clearly matches the 95 catalogue in the gallery on this site.

I live in the next town so I've emailed the seller to see if I can get a viewing in the unlikely hope that it's a 20"

If the seller lets me see it then I'll take a tape measure and also report on the corrosion, unless it's a 20 of course! ;)

It's a 1996 size 18. The geometry didn't change between 95 and 96. 1995 Kilaueas were pearlescent white.

This is a 95 Kilauea, trust me, size 17. The helmet is an Exodus. The ice cream was good.

main.php

Reply from seller says 19"!

If you look at the 95 catalogue it shows the main pic in white, but a close up pic of the headtube below the main one shows this colour was also available.

The seller says I can look so if i have time ill take a tape measure. Might have a go if its 19 but was really after a 20 which it obviously isnt. Not sure it would be worth swapping my 96 cindercone if this is a 95.

D_XZ":9tg6q8jm said:

If you look at the 95 catalogue it shows the main pic in white, but a close up pic of the headtube below the main one shows this colour was also available.

The seller says I can look so if i have time ill take a tape measure. Might have a go if its 19 but was really after a 20 which it obviously isnt. Not sure it would be worth swapping my 96 cindercone if this is a 95.
Most Kona owners don't know the size of their bike and don't know how to measure it.

To save you wasting your time, I have taken a photo of a 1997 size 17 Kilauea from roughly the same angle as picture 3 in the listing. It has the same 11cm head tube as a size 18 and it has the same top and down tubes as the eBay bike. You will see that the tubes are the same distance apart (3cm) as the eBay bike. If the eBay bike was a size 19 it would have a 13cm head tube and the tubes would be almost twice as far apart. If it was a size 20 that you're looking for, it would have a 15cm head tube and the gap would be 7cm, over twice as big as the eBay bike.

Note that the eBay bike has blue decals and a blue and grey head tube spiral, which prove that it is a 96 frame. The blue picture you are referring to in the 95 catalogue shows a Lava Dome and is there only to illustrate the Impact headset (which you could buy separately). There was no option colour on the 95 Kilauea. Note that the picture of the blue Lava Dome shows the orange and grey headtube spiral that was the 1995 design, not the grey and blue headtube spiral that the eBay frame has.

Attachments

• 1997 Kona Kilauea size 17 head tube.jpg
    1997 Kona Kilauea size 17 head tube.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,955
Anthony":rgi3aemu said:
D_XZ":rgi3aemu said:

Most Kona owners don't know the size of their bike and don't know how to measure it.

To save you wasting your time, I have taken a photo of a 1997 size 17 Kilauea from roughly the same angle as picture 3 in the listing. It has the same 11cm head tube as a size 18 and it has the same top and down tubes as the eBay bike. You will see that the tubes are the same distance apart (3cm) as the eBay bike. If the eBay bike was a size 19 it would have a 13cm head tube and the tubes would be almost twice as far apart. If it was a size 20 that you're looking for, it would have a 15cm head tube and the gap would be 7cm, over twice as big as the eBay bike.

Note that the eBay bike has blue decals and a blue and grey head tube spiral, which prove that it is a 96 frame. The blue picture you are referring to in the 95 catalogue shows a Lava Dome and is there only to illustrate the Impact headset (which you could buy separately). There was no option colour on the 95 Kilauea. Note that the picture of the blue Lava Dome shows the orange and grey headtube spiral that was the 1995 design, not the grey and blue headtube spiral that the eBay frame has.

i emailed the seller through ebay with this question last night...""Dear 3024claire,

please can you confirm the size of the frame by using a tape measure..measuring from the bottom bracket to the "top" of the seat post
thanks
ernie""

They replied....""Dear ernie,

No worries it's 19" cheers

- 3024claire""...

:roll: this is getting confusing...or as Anthony says..some people/sellers hav'nt a clue :roll:

Ernie ;)

Latest posts

Back