Customer leans his bike outside my shop..

I often want to ride my good bike around but don't carry a lock, so I don't feel funny about taking care it. For some reason, I thought about the time I brought it into a subway.

I was going out for a short ride but ended up doing a nine-hour ride that took me far from home. I only took $5 with me and ended up using up my money to buy food. I was about 25 miles from home and getting tired from lack of food and the only place around was a subway. I stop in and say, "Look I'm doing this really long ride and I only have 50 cents left. Can I just buy a bun?" The young girl said, "I don't know how to ring it up." "Just a bun, nothing more." "It's not on the register." I reply, "Ok, how about one of those buns that you dropped on the floor, can I buy one of those for fifty cents?"

At that point, two groups of people saw the absurdity of the situation and both offered to buy me a complete meal. After talking to them for a few minutes, one couple gave me their address and said if I was ever in San Jose, CA, to give them a call. It was a good ride that day.

Ok, now that this thread has been totally hijacked...

Pinguwin

P.S. One thing I learned that day, carry a $20 rather than a $5, it doesn't take up any more space.

I recently took a newly re sprayed frame into my local bike shop (Blazing Saddles, Rustington) to have a bottom bracket put in, and when I put it on the counter I was asked to remove it as it may scratch the new counter, the shop was being refitted and the floor had builders rubble covering it, after a argument with the lad the manager came over and promptly told the lad off for being so stupid, but by that time it was to late and I took my trade to Southdowns cycles in Angmering who’s service has been fantastic, despite a few problems along the way, all handled very well.

My bike gets locked up in the street. There's not enough room for people in most shops let alone trying to navigate to the sweet counter with a bike in tow! :roll:

I do take it into bike shops though and will usually ask "Where can I put this?"

Mostly I get "there's just fine mate" but just occasionally I get;
"Cool!...an orange Orange!" :LOL:

Most of the time I take the bike into a bike-shop, and never hears complaints. A townbike is something else, that is normal to place outside. Well here in Holland where you have 20 millinon bikes parked in the country. The rest in parked at home :)
I only had to remove the bike when we went into a supermarked with 3 people and 3 bikes, and very dirty. :)

i've ridden a bike round a supermarket. it's cool, you can pull massive lairy slides

it was years ago, when i was working there as a student. if i ever fall on hard times and am forced back into retail, i'd do it again though

LTS Biker":1pg02iz2 said:
Well here in Holland where you have 20 millinon bikes parked in the country.

And 24.5 million of those bikes are stolen as I know many bikes have been stolen more than once :D

Pinguwin

P.S. LTS, I have to say Holland warmed my heart when coming on the Koln->Amsterdam train. I looked out the window and saw so many people riding bikes and thought, 'Cool." Then I got to Amsterdam Centraal and saw bikes by the 1000's, hectares of them parked all over and said, "COOL.". Last time I went to Amsterdam, I got off the train and saw that big-ass parking ramp for bikes (like a car ramp, quite large and multi-stories) they now have and said, "COOL!"

I have to say I'm impressed at how many bikes there are everywhere, even in moderate sized towns, there can be a thousand bikes parked out outside the train station. Can't wait to go back.

In my town there are so many bikes, that once in a time the take all bikes parked for longer than a week or two, and bring them to the schredder. We have too much :)

Back