vitus info

Hawker":3br8toup said:
I had always heard that the Vitus frames with the Grub screw were the later frames and the ones with the standard type of seatpost clamp were the earlier models? So which is it?

They should have a date 'stamp' somewhere with the build year. Mine says '86' with the clamp not grub screw (which I also thought was later).

Oh, I was told by the original owner that these were later with the grub being earlier - I would have thought the engineering problems exposed by the grub screw was an original design with the more conventional seat clamp a solution to threaded/ seized/ sheered grubs screws

There was a problem with the earlier vitus 997 with the conventional seat bolt,in order to stop the seat post from sliding down you had to do the bolt up very tight which inevitably caused the bolt to shear.Vitus answer to this was the grub screw,which at the time was considered really clean and aero,however 20 years plus latter ,seized and rounded out socket heads,not so clever :cry: .I suppose they should have just fitted a separate seat post clamp,like all alloy frames have now,ah well call it Gallic charm :D

Latest posts

Back