Hello there!

jackhulbert

Retro Newbie
I ride modern bikes but I've just inherited 3 old bikes. A Scott's of Birmingham 1980's "racer", a Waverley by BSA (1948 by the date on the SA hub) and a real clunker Norwegian DBS. The Scott's I'm leaving alone because it's in really good nick and useable, it'll just get a clean and service. |The Waverley is also in good nick for its age but all the bare metal has been brush painted black, so that's going to be a long term project.

The DBS is a seventies town bike and pretty ugly and heavy. However I've come to like the thing. It's been used as a film prop and during that career its wheels were damaged beyond repair and the paint (red and white, applied for the film -the livery of the Norwegian State Railways) is now also beyond hope. It will never be worth anything but I like the way everything about it just done differently e.g the lock that operates through the spokes of the rear wheel, the narrow thick walled tubing, the largely lugless welded frame with it's curvy chain stays and the crude sidepull brakes. The chromeplating on the forks and crank is really exceptional quality but the bike is definitely not a beauty. It's stripped now and the frame is off for blasting and powdercoating in the same Norwegian State Railways colours. I just need a pair of wheels for it now

Back