Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark's Alpinestars Ti Mega

• Ed's Fat Chance Yo Eddy

• Chris' orange Kona

• Total voters
While I've always worn a helmet offroad I've been more pro choice that pro helmet. Not any more.

Separately I've only just remembered that the paramedic asked Mark his name etc. and then his age. "31" drew a collective expression of incredulity and disbelief from the riders but we should have known that top sportsmen often look more careworn than their years would suggest.

I've been in touch with Mark and he's out on the road today to work off some of the stiffness. Thankfully the 'whup whup' of the helicopters rotors haven't induced a flashback. Yet.

drystonepaul":2mubh95q said:
orange71":2mubh95q said:
ALWAYS. WEAR. A. HELMET.

I don't understand people who say it won't help them in a crash.

Indeed.

Depends on the crash? But a hat does protect the head

Looks like a good meet :D

Doesn't take much of a knock on the side of the head to be fatal. Falling sideways at very low speed whilst clipped in head touches rock before the hand comes out and game over.

Thought I'd check in on the BoTR poll and it's looking good - 7 riders, almost no photos of the bikes and 9 votes :shock:

In the absence of photos I'll try to 'paint a picture with words':

Rob's Kona Cindercone - very tidy bike that looks very much early 90s. Quality respray. Has a tendency to puncture easily. And repeatedly.

Carol's slime green Specialized Rockhopper - Kawazaki green with red ano, like The Guvnor's Yo. But smaller. And aluminium. With a jump fork.

Del's Gary Fisher X-Caliber - also Kawazaki green with French blue trim. Owned from new. Has taken some hammer.

John's modified Kona Kileaua - interesting modification with disc tabs added front and rear but still original running rigids. Clearly gets used often.

Mark's Alpinestars Ti Mega - pretty boy build. Highly strung and will buck the rider if startled. Descends well in the granny ring.

Ed's Fat Chance Yo Eddy - rubbish. Particularly stupid forks.

Chris' orange Kona - tidy respray in orange Plastikote of a Kona frame of unknown provenance. Completed the hattrick at the FoD KonaFanBoy Meet.

The poll will run until I remember to finish it. I'll then award an arbitrary prize that may or may not reflect the voting.

Top stuff, really glad to hear Mark's come out of it so well, although no sense got knocked in, clearly! He is actually quite useful in the NW though, so a big thanks to all for looking after him (although whether you're allowed to borrow him again will have to be seen).

Get well soon mate! :D

Funny how it looks so misleadingly innocuous in the photos... :LOL:

Never mind Rob, I'm flat last with no votes now. Crying or Very sad

Pity there isn't a close up pic of the 3 Konas together at the pub 'cos it would have shown just how good they looked .

Back