Highpath advice sought please. Just bought one in Edinburgh

GeoffApps":39cdaq92 said:
What an amazing find! Why didn't I pick-up on this thread earlier?
As a trials rider, you will appreciate the riding position of the Cleland design, as that is its heritage.
An original Aventura recently sold for £900.
Where did you find those Speed Hakkapeliitta tyres?
Handlebars? I'd get DWS to make some new ones for you. If not, anything that gives you the stance of a trials bike.
When it is ready, you must come down to the Borders for a ride.
I assume you've accessed www.clelandcycles.wordpress.com
BTW I know that the GasGas account is not about cooking and heating.
I look forward to reading about the HighPath's restoration.

Hello there,

It's very nice to hear from you. What a find eh! It is getting a right old grip of me.
I have been doing my research, and been in touch with DWS and others so hopefully will do justice to putting the Highpath back together properly.

I got a bundle of tyres from Dr Bob Mac, whom you might remember, he was the original owner and is a bit of a character as well as being a font of knowledge. He was over for coffee a couple of days ago.

I think that RUTS might well be working in Duns again soon with the scooter project there, so if we are I'll get in touch and you can come and get a wee shottie on a Scorpa or Xispa if you like.

Will keep you posted.

All the best,
Pete

There were so few of these machines made that I guessed it was Dr Bob, as I knew of him, although we never actually met, or communicated, for that matter.

I haven't put my leg over a trials bike since 1975, and on that occasion I was messing about with the late Simon Wigg. He was uncle to that other young Wigg who is doing so well for himself these days.

So, the chance to try out one of these new machines would be very interesting indeed, I look forward to it.

GeoffApps":24fv3esw said:
There were so few of these machines made that I guessed it was Dr Bob, as I knew of him, although we never actually met, or communicated, for that matter.

I haven't put my leg over a trials bike since 1975, and on that occasion I was messing about with the late Simon Wigg. He was uncle to that other young Wigg who is doing so well for himself these days.

So, the chance to try out one of these new machines would be very interesting indeed, I look forward to it.

Well Dr Bob is chuffed that his bike is being restored and is 1st in the queue for a shot. I think I'll probably use the Nokia SL-35 tyres rather than the Hakkapeliitta ones as most of my riding is on-road. I get enough injuries on trials machines without doing it all on a bicycle too!

I saw Alexz Wigg at the World Trials in Fort William.......jeez-o what those boys and girls can do is simply amazing!

Questions:

Anyone got recommendations for front and rear mechs for my Highpath?

I'm thinking Suntour front for the Suntour MicroDrive crankset and Shimano rear for the Shimano Megarange cassette.

Happy to be shot down here as long as I get it right guys.

Other news:

Double Stem sorted.
Handlebars sorted thanks to Retrobike.

Other parts needed:

Seat - I'm thinking sprung.
Levers - I'm thinking Yamaha TY cranked ones, only cos we have a shed load at work.
Shifters - jeez-o ! Dunno, indexed? or not?
Cableage - thinking funky coloured ones......or am I being a heretic?
Carry strap - not sure about material to use. Will be home-made though.
Grips - no idea?
Pedals - no clue?

I have the origainal chromo plastic mudgaurds but they are a bit faded and have a few odd holes. I'm thinking respray! What does anyone else think?

cheers

Pete

i believe in fixies":bnsrzon9 said:
somerled":bnsrzon9 said:
Seat - I'm thinking sprung.

Surely it could only be a lovely Brooks, anything else just wouldn't be cricket.

cricket....what's that then......is it like the Camanachd? Cup Final tomorrow btw folks, should be good crack. ;)

Good point, I'm off to check my girlfriends Dawes Duchess......

You'll have to fit those Hakkapeliittas, once you've ridden it a while, and I'll show you what a HighPath Cleland can do.

Or, still better, come down for the Birthday Ride at the beginning of December.

Parts:

Transmission: refer to DWS, see if he remembers what he fitted.

Seat: definitely a Brooks 'Champion', narrow (so you can slide off the back) and sprung (to save your back)

Levers: I guess TYs would do, may be just a little long, though.

Shifters: would probably have to match your gear systems, again refer DWS

Cabling: Black, inners stainless steel braided (if I know DWS)

Carry Strap: probably a piece of black nylon strapping, such as you'd get on a sports bag shoulder strap. Fold corners in at 45 degrees and weld with soldering iron, also use it to make the holes.

Grips: mushrooms, I think they're still available

Pedals: refer DWS

Mudguards: you could try spraying them, but I'm not sure how the paint would take to the plastic (CAB). You could also patch-up stray holes with thin SA vinyl before spraying. Perhaps a rub-down with emery or a wipe of acetone may be a good surface prep.

Cheers Mr Apps.

Your wisdon is much appreciated.

Brookes it is then (shakes piggy bank)
Also, we have some nice cranked TY levers on the shelf in the TY stock room (aye....it's like the 80's never ended at RUTS and that's just the music and haircuts) which are short and I reckon they will be fine. A Retro member is sending me a cracking pair of chrome BMX bars which look very much like the ones on an Aventura (sp?) on your website.

I will email DWS about shifters and mechs, but will also talk to Dr Bob when he gets back from the top of Scotland. He's away hiding from the Pope he says, but he has hinted that he has 'odds and ends lying about'......his hoose is like a bicycle shop - don't you just love Scotland!

somerled":3u8828db said:
cricket....what's that then......is it like the Camanachd?

Cricket involves putting a plastic cup in your sporran while some chap hurls a wee ball at you that you swat away at with a stick. If the ball knocks down the three miniature cabers standing behind you then you're oot. Oh, you'll also need a white kilt to play it, not sure what clan it's from ;)

ahhh! the Friday banter. Love it :LOL:

Think that Freuchie done ok with the willow at some point, didn't they.

Anyways my money is on Kingussie tomorrow...........SHINTY - a game like ice hockey where the protective clothing for the goalie is a thick jumper and a bunnet. Ouch!

Back