Member Profile - Jez_2_many_bikes

Ok...

I guess I win and lose some. I wouldnt do it if I constantly lost out.

Generally though, if I buy I can pretty much get what I paid for it.

Whole bikes when split will result in more profit. Everyone knows that but again it depends on bits on the bike...

I only really buy if I "kinda" want it or if its a mega bargain.

Problem I face is that I sell the parts I have to buy even nicer parts for the steeds I have. If that makes any sense. I'd have to work out what each keeper is worth due to the whacky stuff on each.

Typical day for me - just picked up a modern Trek ZX 8700 for 70 quid.

god knows what its like. But thats a fairly decent bike I guess.

Yeh Im doing teh Peaks but need to sort where Im sleeping. I could do with a VW camper!

A question if it's not a bit late? Sorry, that's not the question!

Of all the bikes you've owned which was your favourite one to ride; one you'd always wanted to ride? one with the best (earliest?) memories? one with a great story?

PS I am aware that this question may bring disparaging comments from others, sorry.

Ed: Loved the acceleration the following offered:
Pace - quick as lightening
Klein - instant power
Trimble - power goes straight to back wheel (on all of the frames)
Salsa - surprising for a steel frame

Didnt like the fact that these beat the sh*t out of me:
Pace - ow!
Klein - OW!
(both were rigid)

Most fun to ride:
Mountain Cycle - felt mad riding a motobike chassis without an engine
Trimble - felt like an idiot
Klein - Hurt so much

Nicest to ride:
Kona Hei Hei
Current Salsa
Yo Eddy

The Fat Chances ride great but I'll be honest - theres nothing "that" awe inspiring to be honest - and the reason for this is probably down to component choice etc.

Think about it: the same frame with different stem, wheels, tyres and forks will make a COMPLETELY different riding experience.

Just by adding a high rise stem, good tyres, a tight back wheel and getting the gears to work properly will make a bike feel MUCH better. I've ridden a few Kleins over the years which have felt like a bad of cack cos of awful set up and component choice. A cheap 1991 Kona FireMountain "well set up" rode great.

Wierd huh.

any big let-downs? stuff you'd wanted to own for ages but you got it, built it, rode it and came off slightly disappointed in a "never meet your hero" kind of way?

You get the feel of a bike even if you give it a ride now and again. If its a wow bike it will make you ride it more. Im probably not the best person for reviewing these bikes but they do get ridden now and again and in the list above depicts which ones had the most attention.

In all honesty the ti stuff never made me 'wet myself'. Hei Hei and Fat Ti (and I had a Diamond back Ti at one point ages ago) were just like riding light steel frames.

I think steel seems to be the best and most versatile material.

Half of these bikes havent been given thorough reviews though - not like a bike mag review or maybe 3 years of riding them would do.

Jez,

Nice interview.

Startling pics...you were one lean scrawny kid!

I'm not much to meet though...being over weight, out of shape, and a sarcastic bastard does not add up to much.

Love the Salsa by the way. Doing a modern 29er single speed for a customer right now that will be painted up with a black jelly bean inspired finish, should be uber cool.

cheers,

rody

Back