1997 Kona Cinder Cone - New Pic's (lots) update 13-07-10

Forgot to mention. Down tube routed front mech cable is slightly shorter and dosent require any extra section of housing. A few more grams saved there :)

I have a crazy and extreme idea to save more weight. It involves learning to braze. Basically replace the disk mount with one of the lightweight Paragon tabs:

P10_BR2007_1.JPG

Replace the reinforcing strut with a peice of the lightest, thinnest tubing I can find. And also change both the seatstay and chainstay bridges for superlight tubing (or remove one or both completely). Another idea is to trim the seat tube a bit but I dont know if the tube is butted or not, and if it is how far down the butting goes.

The canti (v brake) bosses are already gone.

These are the lightest hose guides I have found. They are SS so need silver brazing I think, or Tig of course but not brass braze as it dosent work with Stainless. They could be drilled to make them even lighter:

STAINLESS_HYDRO_GUIDE_resized.jpg

http://www.bikelugs.com/store/index.php?strWebAction=item_detail&intItemID=50

I'll probably do another thread if/when this happens. For now It'll just be getting a cheap powdercoat or rattle can job. Then over the winter I can get some equipment and learn to braze. If I get any good I might even replace the seatstays for some ultra light ones for a laugh :LOL:

Of course you could replace the main tubes, stays, mill the bottom bracket, ream out the headtube...
You're going way over board to try and lighten a frame that's already heavy based on it's main tubes.
oh you could put the money you would spend on that and get a Kilauea and save 1/2 lb straight away..
:p

Insulation tape is lighter than the cable guides as as tie wraps, cheaper and quicker to.

Just get it built up, rattle can it and actually ride. You may not like it again.

Thanks for sharing your opinion :evil:

I already have a price from Enigma Bikes to re-do the disk mount and reinforcing strut. Plan to use those lightweight SS guides too. The other ideas were just that, ideas, and none of which are expensive if done DIY (like I said, Im thinking of learning to Braze). Yes a Kilauea should be lighter. Each time I see one in my size I seem to be going though a skint patch. Someday I'll have one or better still and Explosif. For now this frame will be my current bike.

I like modifying things so the project may well go further. For now I'm enjoying riding it very much. Will hold on on a re-spray until I get the mount re-done. Cant live with that ugly DIY thing on the back. Whoever did it even tried to weld across the brazed joint on the dropout :roll:

You should know it's just jesting (though in a practical way) ;) told you it all before about 5 pages back, but why stop at just the stay bridges...
Don't mind what people do to their bikes keep it interesting.

Why does everyone want an Explosif though ? I thought the Kilauea would be the comfier bike to ride and of equal level in the range. Plus it a gnats fart lighter (from spec)
(ignoring the Hot and Caldera that is)

Anyways, have a go at the brazing, i've never tried and for what you do with your bikes sounds like it'll be very useful.

Any idea what weight you're at you, you got some digital luggage scales ?

This is probably one of my fav pics with your (now) frame in

Nice pic :) Not sure about the DCD though :LOL:

I guess it because the Explosif is top of the line (apart from the Hot which is the same, just US made). Your right about the Kilauea and Caldera. I wouldn't mind either and they are lighter than the Explosif.

I only have an educated guess at the weight based on a spreadsheet of component weights. If this new frame is 4.4lb that puts it at 22.1lb total. Not bad at all really. Get a bit obsessive very quickly though :LOL:

I could drop good chunk of weight with a few little things like changing the rear rim and spokes to match the front would save about 1/4lb. Theres lighter skewers too (KCNC) and Conti Speed King 'Supersonic' (100g lighter). That lot - according to my spreadsheet - takes it down to 21.3lb.

Then theres foam grip, KMC X10SL chain, Ti pedal axles, and a smattering of Ti or Al bolts. All in with the above upgrades the sheet predicts 20.3lb :eek:

Bet it dosent work out like that though. Need to get some proper scales.

Ordered my Pcaenti Stainless guides from the US. Shipping is over double the cost of the guides :LOL: :LOL: But I really like them so its worth it. Got a good quote from Enigmabikes to silver them on and re-do the disk tab and brace. I'll split off a new thread once the new frames is done and the build gets underway.

I'm glad I stumbled onto your thread here, I can see how the gold chains going to look on my bike!

What colour frame have you decided on?

The 18" Dome I have felt really sharp on my test ride this afternoon and I'm looking forward to taking her off road, where I imagine she will be very chuckable. My usual size is 19".

Nick C":xaa4m2i2 said:
I'm glad I stumbled onto your thread here, I can see how the gold chains going to look on my bike!

What colour frame have you decided on?

The 18" Dome I have felt really sharp on my test ride this afternoon and I'm looking forward to taking her off road, where I imagine she will be very chuckable. My usual size is 19".

Is yours that very cool white 96 Dome with black stem and bars?

Got a good quote from Enigmabikes to silver them on and re-do the disk tab and brace

Was it Shands (?) who did the original? Anything you dont like about it? Tempted to do this to a 1997 rockhopper, and reading your threads here and on other forums for ideas.

Latest posts

Back