1981 Chris Chance Criterium: 2011 RBUK Road Bike of the Year

yo-Nate-y

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Final Build:
chance14.jpg

More Pics on Page TWO!!!

(the vintage DA parts on the Alan are headed on!)
(the parts on it in the second pic are just a place holder)

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 10,877
  • ALAN7.jpg
    ALAN7.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 10,877
Ah I see...

Well keep us posted, is the chance pretty rare?

Got any pics of the Alan - Im a bit of a fan...

That is a very nice Chris Chance. History in a nut shell: If I recall correctly Chris learnt the job at Withcomb, started his own frame building bizz with building lugged road frames, somewhat later he took off with mountainbikes only, he became strong believer in welding for frames, he introduced the all welded Slim Chance roadbike in ca 1990.

A Chris Chance is a very special item. Dito for the Slim. Keep us updated on the process. I am really looking forward to following this build topic.

Btw that Alan is nice too. There are no lousy parts coming on the CC. That is obvious.

Thanks! It will be posted here once everything is worked out :)

If I recall correctly, he apprenticed at Witcomb USA with Sachs and Weigle and started Chris Chance Cycles in 1977. Did that until 1981, and started Fat City Cycles in 1982.

I don't know how many were produced (sent an email to Chris asking, but no reply), but I can't imagine it was too many. The fellow I bought it from had had two frames built for him, one in '77, and then this one which he used very briefly then stored in his parents' attic when he went abroad for a few years.

I have seen the pic on Classic Rendezvous (http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/ch ... cycles.htm) that is a scan from a 70s catalogue, but never seen one in the flesh, or contemporary pictures of any other frames than this one. So.......pretty rare!

I remember one up on eBay about 5yrs ago. An anniversary edition, celebrating 10yr CC frame building or something like that. It had silver (or even gold) badges and other distinctive detailing. I believe it was a track bike, build with top stuff. Went for over 3K.

I see I have the pics of the bike mentioned in the previous post parked away somewhere. I created a Flickr set with them >>> here

Back