2001 Kona Lava Dome - the build commences

utahdog2003":2mfjhfyd said:
I dig it. I am wondering though, why the burly as hell Brooklyn bits on a bike with Ringle and a Judy SL? I saw the 'purpose built' comment earlier in the thread, but what's the purpose?

I'm not bitching, just wondering. :D But if you put a Kooka stem on there I'm going to make jokes! :LOL:

I have loads of Brooklyn kit, I know the guys and it was all sitting redundant so it's gone onto this build. I have a front Snot Rocket to go onto the forks as well :)

Rest assured the stem is a Ringle mated with a pair of Groovy Luv Handles :cool:

As per other post, my front wheel was already laced up to a 521 rim, I'd sourced another NOS 521, but got some older decals done for it via Gil_m so it would match the front rim!

Gil_m is a god-like decal genius I hasten to add!

Dude this is looking sweet. Particularly like the pink colour but I can apprecaite the two tone, takes it back to the old kona style.

Looking forward to future pics :D

What a day!

Had a chit-chat with some of the lads at TF Tuned, they'd got the forks but were sat flummoxed about them.... the internals are from different eras of RS Judy forks, so it was a hybrid build! Anyway they couldn't do a full service on them, they've given them a load of TLC, cleaned down, changed the oil, re-lubed and fitted new seals, etc. One of the problems was over-spray by Colour-Tech so I think they've removed the excess paint from the inside of the fork legs. Should get them back tomorrow so will see how they handle over the weekend if I get the whole bike built up.

Also dropped the frame off at Bromley Bike Co this evening to get the rear drop outs sorted. Dropped frame off, came home, grabbed a coffee checked email to see that they'd already sorted the frame and it was ready for collection, so back to Bromley I went. Certainly been good exercise this evening I grant you!

More photo's soon :)

Ain't been rushin', been taking it nice n'easy....

Got all the cabling done and dusted, toeing in remains.

Front Brooklyn Machine Works Snot Rocket:

BrooklynMachineWorksSnotRocketsFront2.jpg

BrooklynMachineWorksSnotRocketFront3.jpg

Close up of the Real lever, colour matched Oury grip and the XT Thumbie:

ThumbieRealOury.jpg

And the almost-there side on shot with Gordon the gnome:

LavaDomeNearlyFinished2.jpg

The bars are a pair of Rody's Groovy Cycleworks 'Luv Handles' if anyone wishes to know.

Just waiting for the headset spacers to arrive, popping more air in the tyres, toe-in the brake pads and sort the the rear mech out, might add a cog-hog to the front Snot Rocket, dunno yet.

Frame: Kona Lava Dome 2001

Fork: Judy SL LT 2000

Headset: Ringle Slamma Jamma
Stem: Ringle Zooka
Handlebar: Groovy Luv Handles
Grips: Oury

Brakes: Brooklyn Machine Works Snot Rockets
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR
Brake Levers: Real

Shifters: Shimano XT Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR m900
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR
Cassette: Shimano XTR 8 speed
Chain: SRAM PC-991
Cranks: Cook Bros Racing RSR
Crank Bolts: Middleburn
Chainrings: Middleburn
Chainring bolts: Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: SA Specialities
Pedals: Brooklyn Machine Works Vegi-Burgers

Hub Skewers: Ringle Twisters
Rims: Mavic 521 Ceramic
Hubs: Ringle
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: Maxxis High Rollers
Tubes: Maxxis

Saddle: Flite Ti (contemplating a Brooks, dunno yet)
Seatpost: Ringle Moby
Seatpost Binder: Kona (will be a Ringle 'holey' reproduction) with Ringle Twister
Bottle Cage: Ringle

Keeping the flite, want to start concentrating on the 4-bar frame build now. Only thing left for the Kona is the customised Middleburns but they'll take a wee while longer.

Back