SO! Hardtails still rule, maybe we are not all mad then!

Re: Gnarly Brits

Wold Ranger":1emgcj79 said:
Whoa, UK trails are recognised as the harshest on a bike anywhere, the fact is that there are more Hardtails being offered, equates that this is what riders want.

Harsh as in cold wet and muddy? or pure technical riding?? ;)

andrewl":2gg92yt7 said:
kingroon":2gg92yt7 said:
Haha love it, fightin' talk ;)

Well someone had to liven up the debate and suggest a reality check ;)

Good call ;)

There's no way a HT can out ride a FS rig on enduro stakes, if the geometry is XC based.

Wold Ranger":1y76ohdo said:
with the extra weight and energy sapping that goes with it, when you have to pedal back up.

You obviously haven't ridden a good FS bike then have you ;)

On a long technical ascent (unless you are walking) a FS bike will eat a hardtail for breakfast.

Hardtails are great for smoother trails but we just down't have a lot them where I live so its FS all the way here with no regrets :D

Bad Weather/ Mean Dirt

Wet n Cold, Hot and Humid, gritty, gnarly, rocky, technical, just plain awful most of the time, probably why our emigration rate to your' fair shores is the highest ever!
The maintenence on full sus and even just forks can be a real pain here, never mind the cost of replacing bearings/seals, Canada shares similar terain, which is why their Hard Tails are big sellers over here. A lot of Hardcore riders will opt for full rigid in winter (the grounds soft enough to not need suspension!) Single Speeds are becoming very popular too, again the maintenance/weight issue. We had 13 inches of rain in June and another 8 inch or so in July, low weight and low maintenance will always be a UK issue because of our climate and terrain.

andrewl":2xd49a3q said:
Wold Ranger":2xd49a3q said:
with the extra weight and energy sapping that goes with it, when you have to pedal back up.

You obviously haven't ridden a good FS bike then have you ;)

On a long technical ascent (unless you are walking) a FS bike will eat a hardtail for breakfast.

Hardtails are great for smoother trails but we just down't have a lot them where I live so its FS all the way here with no regrets :D

Yes I have had dozens over the years: Spesh FSR, Marins FRS, Giants, Kona's, Fishers, 'Dales even a couple of Yeti's, but we do peddle back to the top as well over here! (A lot)

andrewl said:
Wold Ranger said:

If the FS rider is not fit or not got the nerve then the HT/rigid will fly past. Thats the thing with this sport its alL about the person on the bike -fittness, skill & nerve i'm sure their are more but these are the 3 most important . IMO. I ride rigid and that how its going to be - low maintenice low cost and big on fun. :D
I love threads like this :cool:

I think it also has a lot to do with what you perceive as 'good'

For some it is; light weight, max number of gears, mega stopping power, black...

For me it is; hassle free, craftmanship, geometry, class and it has to last LONG

..so with this knowledge for me a HT is more likely the right choice. It not necessarely has to be a SS, actually rather not, as XT2 does offer all I want.

Everyones regular trails are different so arguments like this are pretty pointless...but still fun.
I have a full sus bike and a long travel hardtail and I use the hardtail most of the time. I prefer the handling characteristics, I like to get out of the saddle and have to manouevre the bike around not just sit on the bike and spin ;) .

Do you go for a bike ride to get to your destination quickly/easily, or to have fun on the way?

I got my first full bouncer (Moots Zirkel) this year and love it. I've used it for shorter rides and races and an all day epic and just cannot fault it. It's different for sure, but I love it. I still have 2 hardtails, and a road bike but the Moots is now my main bike.

Having considered at a lot of bikes before I made up my mind, I still think a nice hardtail looks way better and when you're buying a bike to which you know you'll be emotionally attached, aesthetics are important.

Back