Serotta Max 853

I am 1.74 with 82cm inside leg measure

well you will see that the relationship between frame size and "bloke" size is not a "hard in stone one"

I can ride a 50cm (c/t) frame but is not going to be as confortable so I must use a shorter stem.
it also depends on the frame age as earlier on, top tubes could be significantly longer
and apparently "east coast" US frames tended to have shorter top tubes than west coast one ;)

With suspended forks, top tube has tended to get shorter.
longer top tubes makes the bike a bit more stable at speed
shorter a bit more nimble

as a conclusion, top tube length is the most important one for the rider I think.
Stem length allows to adjust for confort.
Flat bar or rising bar will influence also ( more racy look and posture for flat - rising bar helps for when you get older so easier on the back and neck ;) )

if you are between 1.75 and 1.78 then the frame should be the right one ;)

and you treated you well for a starter ;)
one of the best 3 US framebuilder !
saw the auction but did not follow it. but was reasonnable ? compared to a brand new frame with same firm ;)

the auction started off at $500 usd "or best offer". i offered $325 and just hoped he would go for it...he did not. so the auction ended and assumed it was out of my life. kinda relieved because of the lack of work and all, but then i was thinking about it and i figured i would never find anything "better" at least by my standards: Steel, retroish, pretty, handmade in the U.S. as luck would have it the auction came up a couple days later, i guess maybe someone backed out or something and it was re-listed at $400 buy it now....so i did.

I just have this need to have nice things. i can never buy something that just does the job. all my carpentry tools are the best and clean, my mechanic tools are all snap-on (which are like 5x more expensive then other brands).

This is actually my second serrota! i got a 1999 Cti road frame about a year back. it had been on Craigs list for about two weeks at $500. so i callled the day that it was no longer posted and offered him $400 for it and it was mine!!! like new 56cm titanium with dura ace headset and F1 fork. just lovely. i am sure either of these frames were $2000 easily from serotta when made!

if i am converting correctly, then i am 177cm in height. not sure about legs but i am pretty proportionate. sounds like it should be perfect and i hope to finish it this winter and take it to some crazy places next spring/summer!

Keep us posted about you build!!! and i will do the same! two Purdy bikes!

xced":2kj9kpxn said:
i'm curious about those projects

where are you guys at?

WORK IN PROGRESS ;)

got a silver CK headset - prefer it on the black or multicolor

and then have got to find the right moment so that my wife does not transform this new bike into moaning and repproach :? :evil: :roll:

ha. I just bought a Pink CK headset and was thinking of putting it on and then impulsively bout a blue one also..... i need suspension fork, seatpost, and seatpost clamp. think that is going to be blue also. I am unemployed at the moment so the fork is proving to be most difficult to get money for.

started my own thread so that we can be more competitive about this less friendly :D just kidding i just didn't want to invade your thread! here is the link to mine!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82008

post some picks of yours when it changes!

cheers

Hows the build? i am sooooo close. Posted a pic of where i am at on my thread. Came across a used FOX F100 fork at my awesome LBS they slapped it on there for me and i can't wait to ride it.

Is the seatpost you have in the pictures Ti or polished aluminum? i didn't know there was a polished one!? I really want a Ti one but fear that it will cost me an arm and portions of a leg.

Hope the Holidays treated you well and you didn't make any stupid new years resolutions that you can't keep....

DOC

DocBraunson":3h6ff9hd said:
Hows the build? i am sooooo close. Posted a pic of where i am at on my thread. Came across a used FOX F100 fork at my awesome LBS they slapped it on there for me and i can't wait to ride it.

Is the seatpost you have in the pictures Ti or polished aluminum? i didn't know there was a polished one!? I really want a Ti one but fear that it will cost me an arm and portions of a leg.

Hope the Holidays treated you well and you didn't make any stupid new years resolutions that you can't keep....

DOC

hi doc I am like you , my pockets are not as deep as I would like :?
so its not a ti seatpost but a alu one but true it is a black one that was worn and I polished it ( I have deanodized and polished quite a few parts now ;) )
I believe it exists in original silver color but I may be wrong

I just need to mount CK headset now and cable the bike but its more choosing the right moment to tell my wife this is a new bike in the garage :shock: :cry:
at the moment its sleeping at my parents place so it wont be stressed :LOL: I know too much stress its bad for the health of the bikes too :LOL:

At last :roll: :LOL:
replaces my Sunn Ti Morati

a few changes

So
Frame : Serotta 853 probably 2000
Fork : Sid Team with pop lock
Wheels : 517 SUP on DT Hugi hubs
Crankset : Race Face Turbine with TA rings
Brakes : Avid Supreme with ultimate levers
Shifters : Triggers XTR M952
Rear Der : XTR M952
Front Der : XTR M952