Dave Lloyd Cats Wiskas

callookuk":3u4mfqax said:
reckon mine must have been about 1989 - was a specific article about Dave Lloyd as a frame builder.

Must have been good, saved all my paper round money to buy one!!

Have a look at mine in the link below, I think going off the frame number it was built at the end of 1990 but I purchased it in 91. I suspect it’s like your old one going of your description.

iveto1983 welcome to the very small group of Dave Lloyd owners on this site, only 2 MTB’s on Retrobike that I know of.

Ah, at last ;) :LOL:

I agree with the comment above that it would suit silver parts.

Cheers

ocset":35w29bbr said:
callookuk":35w29bbr said:
reckon mine must have been about 1989 - was a specific article about Dave Lloyd as a frame builder.

Must have been good, saved all my paper round money to buy one!!

Have a look at mine in the link below, I think going off the frame number it was built at the end of 1990 but I purchased it in 91. I suspect it’s like your old one going of your description.

Ah, looked similar, but mine had the same rear end as the Cats Wiskas I think.

I had it custom built for my weird body shape, remember phoning up and discussing measurements, riding styles etc - mad really for a school kid!

Rode it in some NEMBA events back in the day, Saturday trials and downhill, evening pasta party then XC on the Sunday - I was crap and a bit shy at the time, but still enjoyed it LOL!

Got plenty of 'nice bike' comments - shame about the rider really ;)

Very interested in finding that article, someone must have it stashed somewhere!

Cheers,

Steve

Good to see this frame back on here. I agree with the others that mostly silver will work well for the build. I had a lot of fun with it when I had it :D

Watch what brakes you try to run - the rear brake post spacing is very wide which makes running some brakes impossible.

Have fun :cool:

hi folks

just had a look at this web site and after many years out of cycling this thread jumped out. i have a dave lloyd cats wiskas , i bought the frame secondhand in the mid nineties and built it up from there. i believe it is the original cats wiskas and it appeared in the promotional shots that i have somewhere. i did use to have the purple, pink and white paint job but after a crash i had to have the front triangle replaced and the silver respray was a cheaper option. it was repared at dave lloyd bikesport as i only live a few miles away. at the time i think it was the first disc brake that i had seen. unfortunately i can't find the pads for it, i think its a hope, does anyone know where i can get them?
i guess its do or die time wheather i make her good again or move on any ideas???

pics to follow

cheers iain

If it were me, I would keep it as it is but change the rear brake. You could get the frame modified to have modern disc mounts. I would then take the 'simple' route and put an Avid cable operated disc on it (e.g. BB5).

Personal preference, but I'd probably also change the stem and bars and replace the gripshift with thumbies or sti. Appreciate it can be hard to fit riser bars to old stems that don't have removable faceplates, so would go for a low-ish riser bar (in order to keep quill stem) or get a modern stem and bars and use a quill adaptor. I'm sure there is a market for someone to make quill stems with removable faceplates...trouble is its probably too small a market !

Here are a couple of long overdue pics of the Cats, and one old pic of a previous build.

Back