WTD: Vintage Campagnolo Seat Post or similar - 27.2

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
WTD: Vintage Campagnolo Seat Post or similar - 27.2

What you got?

I've got one with this style of clamp...

http://velobase.com/ViewSingleCompo...8F96-4E26-A054-36702ACCEDE7&Enum=105&AbsPos=4

...but it keeps slipping (tilting backwards). So looking for one of the other clamp design types. Early two bolt would be nice or one of the later clamp types. Needs to be non-aero as I need quite a bit of the post in the seatube.

Condition need only be good enough to polish. So maybe a bit cheaper!!??!!

Many thanks.

Have you checked that the saddle rails aren't a bit too narrow?

If not - then it sounds like the notches in the clamp have worn. And the seatpost is dead....

Thanks for the reply.

Saddle rails fit fine, no problem with it clamping in that regard.

In terms of the notches you're spot on...

Thing is though, with some of these older Campagnolo seat posts - this being one - the clamp bit where you adjust seat angle is smooth - no notches, not ever! I had another that was the same, but didn't use it so didn't realise the problem. Guess it'll be visiting ebay soon! I polished it up all crazy shiny too!

*@*£**((@?!! and *D*A*R*N* !

Maybe I can tighten it more, put an extra washer in, allow more pressure!?!?

Who wants to buy an expensive, shiny, potentially useless seatpost???

If it's completely smooth - then it sounds like a saddle rail issue. Do you have another saddle you can try?

If it's an old Super Record single bolt seatpost - (sounds like it is) then modern saddles might be to thin-railed. Or the alloy thread in the cradle could be damaged. Did you try fitting a new bolt in case the old one is bent?

Thanks for the help. Don't really get the saddle rails being an issue.
They really do seem to fit fine and don't slip at all in the clamp, tight with no fore or aft movement.
I guess you're thinking they slip under pressure causing the saddle to slip back and put more weight backwards causing the clamp to rotate backward?

Just in case we're talking at cross purposes, this is what's happening...!

post.jpg

Looks to me like a 98-or-so Record setpost - but the cradle is the wrong one. I used to have one and the cradle looked very different.

Are there any 'notches/grooves' between the top of the pin and the underside of the botom half of the clamp? There are in a couple of Campag pins I've got (not sure what models they are though) and this is what stops it slipping when tightened.

Back