Hideous but cheap Klein

Respray would be a couple hundred probaly all in plus the shipping and taxes would it really be cheap? :roll:
Anyways if I saw anyone riding it with that spray job I wouldnt be responsible for my actions :twisted:
J

jonrock":1w5f0i6p said:
Respray would be a couple hundred...I wouldnt be responsible for my actions

Who says you have to respray it. Sure it isn't an original paint job but who cares? I would have no problems riding it as is. Original, good condition paint on that year would add $600. Sure it wouldn't be comparable to the NOS 1991 Attitude that sits in your garage but neither is the price. There are riders and there are garage queens. If it's a rider, go for it.

As far as not being responsible for your actions, one of these days I just may post a picture of my custom painted Klein and even worse, I'm sitting on the bike wearing my penguin tights. The people on VRC have been psychically crippled for life by my pictures. Don't tempt me. :shock:

Pinguwin

P.S. I was living in a redneck town and wearing my pengies and some redneck in a pickup nearly ran me over I yelled at him, 'You asshole!" I was on the sidewalk and he pulls up alongside of me, rolls down his window and says, "WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME?" Now mind you, how I'm dressed riding a neon-colored bike in redneck city, I turn and look at him matter-of-factly and say in a dispassionate voice, "I called you an asshole." Look forward and keep riding. Heh-heh.

jonrock":3lsa3km5 said:
Respray would be a couple hundred probaly all in plus the shipping and taxes would it really be cheap? :roll:
J
Agree for a good condition Klein a nice spray job wouldn't be that £££ much. I'd go for the red green white thats on the team bikes of 92 :cool: And then ride it off road and enjoy :D

This all boils down to 2 choices:

A - you're buying it for the legendary ride
B - you're buying it for the legendary paint job

If it's A (and it's your size) - it's a bargain.
If it's B - then maybe not so.

It's never going to be a garage queen, but it is going to be a Klein that fits you and that you can actually use and ride in the way it was meant to be.

Depends where your priorities rest.

I don't know how much powder coating costs but if you're getting it painted since it isn't Klein-like, wouldn't conventional paint be a better choice? Powder coat, is functional and very tough, but not nearly as nice as a conventional glossy coat. Myself, I'd rather keep the current paint over a powder coat or do a one color standard coat which would moderate the price. IMHO, of course.

BoyBurning":1lheupst said:
This all boils down to 2 choices:

A - you're buying it for the legendary ride
B - you're buying it for the legendary paint job

Nice theory, except no one would buy a Klein for the ride ;)

andrewl":2ys518oo said:
Nice theory

In the fall of 1989, I was looking at getting a high end bike. I was riding a Trek 850 Antelope at the time, not a bad bike, but not high end. I tried a couple dozen bikes and had settled on an American Comp-Lite but was still willing to try whatever else came by. I had heard of this bike called a Klein, but didn't know much about them. When I went to Madison Wisconsin to visit, I heard of a place called Tail Wind Bicycle Shoppe who were Klein dealers. After riding all these bikes I hopped on a Klein and within 100 yards said, "This is the one." That was it. They had just announced the Attitude but no one had seen it so I figured, "same geometry, lets give it a try." The colors weren't really a part of it. The front end, the look, now that was hot, but the green/white/pink, no biggie. Yet when I got the bike six long months later, I saw it and thought, "That's pretty *(&$*&#'ing cool."

Seventeen years later, no regrets, I still ride a Klein.

Pinguwin

Back