Tubs newbie advice please - they look a bit wobbly!

psychlist

Devout Dirtbag
I took the plunge and bought some old Shamals wanting to try tubs in a fit of enthusiasm. After a week of applying glue etc etc they are now firmly on but look a bit uneven as they rotate - am I going to have to start again? :shock: :?

You might have to, its hard to say though without seeing them. If you think that its worth bad enough then take the tyre of, apply a coat of glue to the rim an replace the tyre. It should be easier this time as the tyre has been stretched, then go round the tyre and pull it into position until you think it looks right and then pump it up a bit. Once its pumped up roll the wheel along the ground whilst pushing down, this will help to center the tyre on the rim. It gets easier the more you do it and you'll soon have your own way of doing it.

Nice wheels by the way always wanted some shamals, might have to start looking for some myself.

When you first fit the tub, inflate lightly, use the position of the base tape against the edge of the rim to get it even all the way round, adjust slightly as you work around the wheel. Once you inflate fully it will stay put.

Get a decent track pump and pump 'em up real hard, as hard as you'll dare before you think they'll go 'bang'.

The beads will pop into place.

Usually best to do this before the glue has set though.

Thanks to everyone for the help - the central tape is no more than a couple of mm out all round so I'm going to try it as it is - the tubs were cheap Conti Giros which I gather are not known for being very round, so i'll see how things go!

Back