89 WHEELER PROLINE 5500, Mountain LX Drive Train

Strange thing pricing and desirabilty, innit? That would make a very nice 26" tourer - at about one tenth the price but at least half as good as today's version from a well known shop in Somerset!

oh mr big cheese, im really quite sad you wrote that,

I never tried to hide the price the bike was outed here, price was already mentioned so if shaming me was your intention it was a cheap but pointless shot.

I have a full time job and do this for fun, to have a litle bit of money in my paypal is all to spend on bike parts, i spent 3 hours driving to collect just that bike yesterday, My Saturday and day off covering 100 miles, £20 petrol, and for that i could have ended up with a lump of uselses metal., it was gamble bike could have been completly ragged and worthless.

how much is the front wheel worth then?, how much for the tyre virtually new farmer john nephew tyre and tube,
you sold some mountain LX shifters i noticed the other day for £12, so how do you justify that ,how come you can sell just the shifters for £12, but i cant sell a whole bike for £120. does that now mean that everything now sold on retrobike has to be in proprtion to the lowest ever selling price for that item,
I never expected to get the asking price,i expected to be haggled down, and i know what i can get by splitting and ebaying, which is what I will do,
i dont ask anyone to buy anything, and everything i have ever sold poeple have been happy with the price,i didnt realise that RB is not for profit, that we cant speculate and accumulate, and that i should give my time and effort for nothing.

So you tell me what is a fair price for the frame in that condition, how much for the chainset in that condition?
I'm not trying to cheat people or asking for more than what something is worth,

cheers for that anyway enjoy your Bank holiday

Wheeler

To be fair, this is kind of where I was going by mentioning the price in my above post but I'm a relative newbie so thought better of it.

It was your decision to drive 100 miles so quite how you can add this to the price is a mystery.

Ebay is a great barometer for finding out pretty much exactly what an item is worth. Granted, if there are more interested parties then a 'bidding war' may push the price slightly but in most cases stuff goes for what it's worth.

I have to agree with The Cheese here, your approach here is a tad stinky.

I would just like to say at this point in Charlies defence that by its very name the "classifieds" are just that a "selling" forum if someone wants to be up front and say "I bought this on ebay" collected it ,fixed it and now want to sell it for(wash my mouth out)profit ,it is up to the potential buyer to decide if it is worth that ammount if it is ,then everyone's happy ,if not then they won't buy it ,and as it says in the rules comments on price should be kept to yourself.

legrandefromage":3ukaus3e said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wheeler-Pro-line-5500-Mountain-bike-/130384314367?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1e5b82bfff#ht_500wt_1182

I will get into trouble for saying this but I think bunging a wheel on and then bunging an extra £90 on the asking price is taking the piss.

It sold for £22.77 because that is what it was worth to the many watchers and bidders. Trying to make an extra buck out of the RB crowd is a little tasteless.

are you joking fromage ?
its up to him how much he sells it for... there are plenty of people on here that make a profit on items brought from e-bay etc... me included and there is nothing wrong with it. some items i make a loss on.. some i make a profit on... just the way it works mate !!!
its worth more than £22.77.... if parted out..
so either make an offer or dont...
Is it okay to find something at the dump (for free) and then sell it for a small profit ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
well even if Charlie did only pay £22 for it you have to add cost of time & petrol for collection, complete wheel & tyre, cleaning etc. Granted still not £120 in total but I'm sure offers would be welcome. I say well spotted - wish I'd seen that! A sneakier / smarter way to do it would've been to sell the complete Mountain LX groupset as a job lot, selling everything else off separately (or stash in the spares box)!

ps Charlie my decision to not pursue buying the cranks, mech and shifters was based on having looked at my existing crankset and deciding that I wanna stay with a single ring and therefore separate shifters + no mech... not the comments on this thread.

oldave":1zaocw41 said:
Strange thing pricing and desirabilty, innit? That would make a very nice 26" tourer - at about one tenth the price but at least half as good as today's version from a well known shop in Somerset!

which shop is it you mean oldave?

legrandefromage":10vo776h said:
magicmistertea":10vo776h said:
legrandefromage":10vo776h said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wheeler-Pro-line-5500-Mountain-bike-/130384314367?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1e5b82bfff#ht_500wt_1182

I will get into trouble for saying this but I think bunging a wheel on and then bunging an extra £90 on the asking price is taking the piss.

It sold for £22.77 because that is what it was worth to the many watchers and bidders. Trying to make an extra buck out of the RB crowd is a little tasteless.

are you joking fromage ?
its up to him how much he sells it for... there are plenty of people on here that make a profit on items brought from e-bay etc... me included and there is nothing wrong with it. some items i make a loss on.. some i make a profit on... just the way it works mate !!!
its worth more than £22.77.... if parted out..
so either make an offer or dont...
Is it okay to find something at the dump (for free) and then sell it for a small profit ?

I stand by what I've said - if the bike only sold for £22.77 via ebay with its outing on here then that is all its worth. Now if he'd taken the time and effort to match the wheels, that would show a little care and attention towards the sale. Just bunging a wheel on doesnt count.

Talking of 'cheap shots' I never get anything from the dump for free and many people on here have benefited from getting cheap or obscure parts to finish a build for little or no money.

Most stuff ends up as a swap with just postage costs involved. I've just recently sold a huge 14kg box of parts for the cost of posting. I've paid for parts to be sent to other people as I've had funds and they have not.

Like I said - I run the risk of upsetting a few of you, but I just cant justify a 24 hour turnaround. Somebody here got a very cheap Saracen, he's taken the time to ride it, see if he wants to keep and actually enjoy it rather than just flog it off to the nearest fanboy.

A little bit more **** respect wouldnt go a miss around here.

Never get anything for free from the dump ? really ?

a little more **** respect...... err yea right okay... :roll:
why do i have to give you a little more **** respect ?
it wasnt a cheap shot... i was just making a point... it SHOULD be okay for you to make a small profit on bits...
and comments on other peoples prices should be kept to yourself, if you dont like the price dont buy it !! simple !!
like it or not... people do make profits and losses on bike parts here and on e-bay...
if the bike is split up it will prob make £100 ish. ... £12 for the shifters on there own ;) :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back