First MTB article to hit print, 1978

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
I just noticed that the first magazine article to recognize the new sport is online. Of course it is also on my site, but this is way cooler because it is the entire magazine. Now you can see how crazy a publisher it took at first to accept the new paradigm.

Click this link and go to page 120

Fascinatinating piece - first time I have read the term 'cataclysmic cruiser'...! :) :cool: Might need to get me one of those for OW 11...

Mr K

Can't wait to get to a proper computer so i can read it properly!

Hi Charlie,

I've just scanned in an article that you appear to have written, published in the 1982 International Cycling Guide:

http://ben.uk.net/archives/Permanent%20Fad.pdf

It's entitled 'Permanent Fad'.

I guess some people did think it was a fad at the time - but obviously it wasn't - it was simply mechanical evolution at its best !!

Just wanted to thank you for your get column in Privateer. I often find myself trying to justify my odd addiction, and this explained the whole thing. Spot on.

Cheers
Pete

Thanks. I learned something today:
Riders would race down mountain fireroads, causing the hub brake to burn the grease inside, requiring the riders to repack the bearings. These were called "Repack Races" and triggered the first innovations in mountain bike technology as well as the initial interest of the public.
Reminded me that I had read an article where a specific mountain was mentioned (got this off wiki):
The sport originated in California on Marin County's Mount Tamalpais.

Back