Setting up Grafton brakes

I wonder about this also. Speed Controllers where the ultimate canti brake from the early 90'ies it seems, they were hyped a lot in MBA. But on vintage forums many claim they are bad brakes impossible to set up and that they squeal a lot. And I have heard before Shimano works so much better.

Why did it take 13 years for the truth to come out about these brakes :p

i really don t understand what the problem is about.
i ve set up several systems on different bikes, and NEVER had any problems at all.
also the brakepower was ok (of course not at v-brake-level, but ok).
first fasten the piece which holds the pad, then the pad itself (like for any other brake a good toe-in is necessary) and at last the hanger. i usually set all systems up like this ;)
if the brakelever is pulled, a angle of approx 90° should give you good braking-power.
the only thing which §@#°§ me off is the small allen screw to set up the balance...

ride on

yes, with the version with the adjustable pivot point (new one). set it up that it is in the middle if i m not wrong.
however, they re working with other levers good too (xtr m900, kooka racha, ss7,...).

ride on

Shame your not coming to the retrobike meet othrwise you could see the issue fella. Im sure there is a way of getting them to feel better - Shimano brakes are far nicer to set up (even Paul Components work nice and they are just as simple)

On the yeti I have Paul levers with Avid tri align brakes and it works really well .

On your set up , do have a long and straight cable to pull the cable straddle . If it pulls at an angle it becomes really hard to set up .

Thats a good point - the front is a little short so there is a lot of flex in the cable housing. Having swapped over to Pauls on the Fat Ti, which work great, the Grafton levers defintily are at fault. These are also the long blade versions and due to their nature of pull (and spindyliness) they kinda feely super squishy.

I had trouble on the rear , so I had to run the outer cable quite high along the seatpost , so that the cable would pull straight .

Back